Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
May 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 889

pekingduck

Headphoneus Supremus

You can now preorder the PAW 5000 in China for RMB 2099 with a free 32G SD card. It will ship around mid- to late-May.

Impressions:
You can read some first impressions from erji.net.

Notable Features
- DSD support
- Bluetooth A2DP support
- Balanced headphone out (looks like it's 2.5mm AK-style)
- 2 gain settings: Hi / Lo
- 2 output impedance setting: Hi / Lo
- Battery life: 10 or 12 hours (The Chinese one says 12 while the English one says 10)
- USB 3.0 data transfer
- Parametric EQ
- Customizable button
- TFF (don't know what the heck this is, mentioned in the Chinese version)
- Acoustic Timbre Embellisher

Headphone out:
- 20-20kHz +/- 0.5dB
- THD+N: < 0.02% @ 1kHz (20-20kHz, A-weight)
- Power: 75mW / ch @ 16 ohm
- S/NR: > 100dB (20-20kHz, A-weight)

Specs:
- 2" 160x128 LED screen
- Supported formats: DSD (DFF/DSF/ISO) / FLAC / WAV / APE / OGG / AAC / ALAC / MP3 / WMA / M4A etc
- Max sampling rate: 96 kHz for PCM, 2.8Mhz for DSD
- Headphone out power: 1Vrms
- Main processor: ADI Blackfin 514DSP
- USB 3.0 support for file transfer
- Dimensions: 98x55x18mm
- Weight: 110g
- Battery: 1700 mAh 3.7v
- Memory slot: SDXC  MicroSDXC x 1  (EDIT: May 22, 2015)

May 6, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 889
Those Taobao photos are highly detailed nice. Here's other photos

Pekinduck, is there any English portal to Taobao? I might place a preorder but I've no idea how to navigate on that site. :xf_eek:

May 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 889
looks very good on paper. And the price is quite right.
Only the max 96khz spec sounds kinda funny .. not a stopper but kinda low by today standards. Anyone who knows what DAC chips are used ?
Also interested in comparisons with any known DAPs..

P.S.
not sure if it's only google translate or the chinese reviewers are even more into funny metaphors than headfi people. That erji.net forum gives me translation gems like
"Golden Chrysanthemum really too big on this c*ck" :D

May 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 889
May 6, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 889
so just from the specs do u think it will be able to drive audeze lcd2

Power: 75mW / ch @ 16 ohm
That's quite low, seriously doubt it can drive the LCD2 .. but those simple numbers are not enough to say something with certainty. And a high-gain mode is mentioned but I dont see any output power numbers for that.

May 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 889
  Looks like a nice size and 24/96 plus 2.9 DSD is plenty for portable use. I only use IEMs on the go so power is more than sufficient for me. The quality of the amp section is a lot more important to me than the voltage swing. 

i am confused so cant it play 24/192

May 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 889
Looks like a nice size and 24/96 plus 2.9 DSD is plenty for portable use. I only use IEMs on the go so power is more than sufficient for me. The quality of the amp section is a lot more important to me than the voltage swing. 

24/96 is surely enough but that suggests an old Dac chip or a new one used in a circuit with somewhat funny limitations .. or very weak cpu/fpga. None of that sounds like good news .. not necessarily bad either but would be great to know more.

Also a sansa clip zip is perfectly fine for IEMs on the road. Plays 24/96 too if rockboxed (downsampled to 24/48 though). The sansa costs $30-40 and I wanna know if $250 for the Lotoo buys me anything extra!

May 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 889
Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Notable Features
- DSD support
- Bluetooth A2DP support
- Balanced headphone out (looks like it's 2.5mm AK style)
- 2 gain settings: Hi / Lo
- 2 output impedance setting: Hi / Lo
- Battery life: 10 or 12 hours (The Chinese one says 12 while the English one says 10)
- USB 3.0 data transfer
- Parametric EQ
- Customizable button
- TFF (don't know what the heck this is, mentioned in the Chinese version)
- Acoustic Timbre Embellisher

That's very bad news, if the user-experiences of the hyper-over-priced AK240SS are anything to go by
frown.gif

I am well aware that a 2.5mm TRRS prevents accidental insertion of 3.5mm TRS plugs, but 2.5mm TRRS sockets are absurdly fragile and unreliable.

On the plus side, it's interesting that they have implemented an adjustable output impedance. It remains to be seen if the implementation of this feature is successful, but at least it shows that Lotoo are making an effort to support audiophile needs (as if the PAW Gold wasn't evidence enough
wink_face.gif
)

May 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 889
Nope Taobao doesn't have an English version but you can contact @xiaoqi who is a representative of Lotoo here.

Quote:
Those Taobao photos are highly detailed nice. Here's other photos

Pekinduck, is there any English portal to Taobao? I might place a preorder but I've no idea how to navigate on that site.
redface.gif

May 7, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 889
  i am confused so cant it play 24/192

No idea. It would be nice if it played the files even if it was at 96 res but I find the 24 more important than the 192. I know some use their DAPs for other things but I use mine strictly on the go. I play a variety of res including 24/192 but mostly because that's their original format and I don't bother to down convert. I don't think the difference between 192 and 96 will be the weakest link in any DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back