Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #811 of 889
For the Lotoo PAW 5000 EQ:

1. Press ATE/PMEQ button
  2. Rotate wheel and then press center button to scroll thru then select from ATE, PMEQ, PMEQ Off, or PMEQ Management
  3. Rotate wheel and then press center button to scroll thru then select from about 6 options including Dental (if you selected ATE) or about 12 options including 4 User EQs (if you selected PMEQ) - User EQs are settings of the parametric EQ you’ve set in advance via PMEQ Management
  4. EQ now in effect, but you’ll want to push another button to leave EQ mode.

Cool, that helps, thanks for that. So... in theory, could you navigate to point 4. and stay there, without leaving EQ mode, so that you can then toggle EQ mode quickly again if need be? I wouldn't care for example to see Album art or track details etc, if you could still change volume and skip track whilst remaining in EQ mode that would be acceptable (does the screen turn off)?

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #814 of 889
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #817 of 889
I recently bought the mkii from a China source. I took a chance because it was priced right where I wanted pay, had a relatively simple UI, all button navigation and supposedly good sound so I had high hopes. Rather than doing a full review I will post my impressions.

The good:
  • Small size and light weight is great.
  • Button navigation is fine but confusing even after using it for a while
  • Lots of sound adjustments including gain, damp and volume
  • Very powerful: could easily drive full size Senns 580
  • Equalizer is very effective though I wish it could combine two of the different sets
  • Sound is very good but not anywhere near the top of the line DAPs. Won't get into detail because of large problems below. I could be satisfied with it for a while.
  • OS is fast. It reminds me of the old PalmOS.
  • The colors on the screen are good as long as the unit is not tilted.
  • Nice build quality
The bad:
  • The screen is a low-res TN panel so it highly susceptible to vertical movement where the screen can disappear. It only has 3 brightness settings.
  • Track metadata cannot be read. It won't display any track info such as album name or artist, only the track name and bitrate data
  • Album art cannot be displayed if embedded in the tracks. They must be copied to the folder in a specific format. I had variable success here but refuse to redo my entire library
  • Album covers are only displayed with the top 2/3, cutting off the bottom third. But because of the screen's low-res the covers are pretty useless since text cannot be read
  • Reset button uses a pin hole so you need to carry a pin or paper clip with you in case it freezes.
  • Lots of sound adjustments - too many options. Getting the right option for each track was too much hassle.
  • Most serious is that the mkii I owned frequently froze. For example I would be using the buttons and all of a sudden the buttons would become unresponsive but music would continue. The only way to stop it is to use the pin hole reset. (firmware 7.1.0.5)
  • No USB DAC mode (excusable at this price point)
I really wanted to like this device, but In its current state I could not keep the 5000 mkii. It's poor resolution on artwork, lack of ability to read metadata including embedded artwork and constant crashing is unacceptable. The OS is just too primitive and I refuse to carry a paperclip with me to fix the freezing. Unless my device was defective I don't believe this unit is ready for prime time. It needs a lot more work, software wise and a much better screen quality.

Warning: If you buy from a Chinese source and need to return it, the price can get to be expensive as I found out.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #821 of 889
just ordered Paw 5000 from Joybuy for £129 free shipping,seems a great price!!

Looking forward to comparing it with my on otg source at the moment my Kenwood MGR-A7,
which is about the same size and weight.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #822 of 889
Is that the new version or the old one?

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #824 of 889
How does this dap compare to dx80 sq wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back