Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #31 of 889

I'm new here and not up on all the details, so I haven't seen the actual price difference.  Forgive me, but I've been in production out of the country for a few months and also haven't seen this particular unit yet, only heard a description.  I thought the entire DAP was made of gold based on what I'd read, but now I've seen the photos in this thread and am more enlightened.  Flying as much as I do DAPs with long battery life have become increasingly important.  Looks like the flagship is pushing a "bling" quotient and I wouldn't feel safe riding a NY subway with it.  I use FiiO's X1 as a disposable unit on the go, no stress carting around something in that price range.

if you care about battery life try the A series walkman, they dont sound bad too. 

May 10, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #35 of 889
All I know is lotoo does the tuning their own way and their strength is in their dsp algorithm so I can't wait to hear the paw 5000. I will report back for sure.

...speaking of which, one should also consider the Soundaware Esther, which is in a similar price category and uses some FPGA implementation.

It remains to be seen how it performs in comparison to the Lotoo 5000, but I'm just saying both of them should be considered, at around this price point.

May 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #36 of 889

I'm new here and not up on all the details, so I haven't seen the actual price difference.  Forgive me, but I've been in production out of the country for a few months and also haven't seen this particular unit yet, only heard a description.  I thought the entire DAP was made of gold based on what I'd read, but now I've seen the photos in this thread and am more enlightened.  Flying as much as I do DAPs with long battery life have become increasingly important.  Looks like the flagship is pushing a "bling" quotient and I wouldn't feel safe riding a NY subway with it.  I use FiiO's X1 as a disposable unit on the go, no stress carting around something in that price range.

you might want to look at an ibasso dx90 as an upgrade: about $360 [at emusicenterprise] ,  probably two steps up from the x1 in sound quality, a handy form factor, no bling to attract attention [especially if you just use the silicone case it comes with], and a swappable battery - uses galaxy s3 batteries which are cheap, small and light enough to carry a few spares [use an external charger] and a fully charged battery can be swapped into the player in under a minute.

May 10, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #37 of 889
...speaking of which, one should also consider the Soundaware Esther, which is in a similar price category and uses some FPGA implementation.

It remains to be seen how it performs in comparison to the Lotoo 5000, but I'm just saying both of them should be considered, at around this price point.

Looking at those two lately too. But the info is scarce and none of the two producers seems particularly interested in this forum or the out of china markets. With china & asia being the largest market(s) nowadays thats totally understandable .. not helpful though, looks like we gotta learn chinese soon

May 10, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #39 of 889
  you might want to look at an ibasso dx90 as an upgrade: about $360 [at emusicenterprise] ,  probably two steps up from the x1 in sound quality, a handy form factor, no bling to attract attention [especially if you just use the silicone case it comes with], and a swappable battery - uses galaxy s3 batteries which are cheap, small and light enough to carry a few spares [use an external charger] and a fully charged battery can be swapped into the player in under a minute.

Besides the X1, I have both the X3 Second Generation, which works well for a mobile unit, as well as the X5 and Hidizs AP-100 which sounds very good, but still suffers from poor battery life even after their last firmware update.  As of now, the X3 has the longest battery life of all.  Is the DX90 preferred over the Hifiman 901?  I've read polarizing reviews on the latter, everything from raves to disappointment due to high expectations, a problem it seems with pricier DAPS.

May 10, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #40 of 889

Besides the X1, I have both the X3 Second Generation, which works well for a mobile unit, as well as the X5 and Hidizs AP-100 which sounds very good, but still suffers from poor battery life even after their last firmware update.  As of now, the X3 has the longest battery life of all.  Is the DX90 preferred over the Hifiman 901?  I've read polarizing reviews on the latter, everything from raves to disappointment due to high expectations, a problem it seems with pricier DAPS.

i've never heard the hm901, but most what i've read makes it sound very well regarded and a step up from the dx90.  otoh the dx90 is $360, the hm901 is $999 and the new hm901s is coming out at $1499.  also, whatever their sound quality, the hifiman units have a limited battery life.  the dx90 sounds very good, perhaps not as good as a hifiman [i can't say for myself] but the dx90 has functionally infinite battery life and a much handier form factor than the large, heavy hifiman units.

May 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #43 of 889
And based on these boards, your opinion is quite lofty.

I'm curious, with more DAPs breaking the thousand dollar threshold and higher, what exactly are the expectations we're to realistically have for their performance?  I've read many articles, as well as experienced for myself, that the human ear cannot sometimes discern great differences between HD tracks and mere CD quality in many cases, especially older recordings.

I know there is often reference to the "FiiO sound," but I found both the new X3 as well as the X5 to be superior to a product like the PONO.  Even the cheaper players can accommodate DSD.  Perhaps most of the critiques are being leveled towards the UI, but all I've essentially come to expect right now is a listing of organized tracks that replicate the tagging and preferences I've incepted.  It also looks like Magix has a new program that will answers many people's desire for software that synchs with players as opposed to have to manually load up memory cards.

May 12, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #45 of 889
I have heard the paw gold and it is my favourite dap I have heard.
I hope the 5000 brings some of that magic at the much more wallet friendly price.

Plus it is not uncommon for me to fall asleep listening on the train, I would be a nervous wreck if I had the paw gold :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back