Lost my Westone 3 IEM, now looking for recommendation on something new
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MinMay

Head-Fier
Hello,

I lost my Westone 3 over the weekend.  :frowning2:  It has been such a sad week for me.  I never knew how precious until it's gone :frowning2:

I'm looking to buy something different or better than the Westone 3.

Do you have any recommendation?  I listen to all type of music such as Electronic, Hip Hop, Top 40, Trance, Modern Rock, anything that is good on the radio.

I was thinking about buying the following earphone.

Westone 4R
Westone UMX3
Shure SE535
any other model or brand, etc.

What do you guys think I should I?  I read so many reviews, but I'm still undecided.  I bought tons of Comfly earbud replacement when it was on sale so I was thinking about buying the Westone 4R so that I can continue to use the extra Comfly earbud.

Also, I listen to my music mostly on my iphone 4s, but other source sometime.

Any input is appreciated.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 18
Different sound for the better?

What custom do you recommend?  Is it 10x better than these universal IEM?  I just didn't want to bother with getting a professional to do a mode of my ear...
Quote:
From what I've read the 4R has quite a different sound to the 3.  

At this price bracket, have you thought about getting some customs?

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm only thinking of it now - I actually have the Westone 3 and am looking to upgrade.  I was going to get a big home rig, but a lot of my listening is done out and about too.  As most other universal IEMs are more of a sidestep than an upgrade, I've been reading up on customs.

I still haven't decided whether to keep my buying within the UK to make the whole process a little easier.  The problem is that the reviews of the Heir 8.A have been excellent, and they look so lovely...  I'm very tempted.   The people who own Heir CIEMs are also very keen on them. The only thing holding me back at the moment is the fact that even the lower-end CIEMs cost as much as two high end universals.  

Decisions decisions. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 18
I see.

One negative about custom IEM is that you own it for life right?  With universal IEM, I might decide to sell it several years down the road to someone else and use the fund toward a new IEM...

decision..decision...for me too :)  I just don't want to get another Westone 3 as this is an opportunity for me to try a different brand/model.  At least you can sell your Westone 3 as I lost mine :frowning2:
Quote:
I'm only thinking of it now - I actually have the Westone 3 and am looking to upgrade.  I was going to get a big home rig, but a lot of my listening is done out and about too.  As most other universal IEMs are more of a sidestep than an upgrade, I've been reading up on customs.

I still haven't decided whether to keep my buying within the UK to make the whole process a little easier.  The problem is that the reviews of the Heir 8.A have been excellent, and they look so lovely...  I'm very tempted.   The people who own Heir CIEMs are also very keen on them. The only thing holding me back at the moment is the fact that even the lower-end CIEMs cost as much as two high end universals.  

Decisions decisions. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 18
I have a few thoughts:

Westone 4: a little dark but extremely enjoyable and very comfortable (to me), I never noticed them once in or when taken out - I.e. no residual feeling. Mids are a bit forward but all of my music sounded great from pop/rock to classical, opera, etc. I kind of miss them a bit in all honesty.

PFE 232: love them. They are very comfortable and I don't feel them in. The sound is simply amazing. String instruments sound absolutely true - like you have musicians playing in front of you and the soundstage, again to my ears, is very open. I actually Hear height on classical singers which is important to me. I'm hoping to write some type of review soon but haven't had time. I'm a classical singer and for me, these put me right in the concert hall. The W4 may be a little warmer but I don't think it's as open as the 232. If you can wait for a 20% coupon the can come down to about $479. I'm still in denial about the impact on my wallet but then I listen and the bad feelings go away :wink:.

UM3X: I can't make up my mind on it. I do feel the soundstage is cramped compared to the W4 and 232 but there's something about it I keep going back to. Maybe because it's accurate but a different sound than the 232? I don't think they fit as well in my ears as the 4 but they do isolate just a little better. With comply foams the isolation is excellent on all 3 and I feel like comply foams open up the sound on this one a bit.

One other thing: the 232 will certainly tell you when you have poor audio quality/bitrate. I feel like I didn't notice it as much on the W4 but it's night and day on the 232. This is on an iPhone 4s un-amped.I tried the SE425 and just couldn't get a good fit at all which is why I skipped the 535's completely. It's a shame there aren't audio stores around, except airports, where you can try these out.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 18
vocalist, thank you for your write up...

I spent the whole day yesterday, reading 15 pages of opinion on the Westone.  Now, I need to read up on the PFE 232 :) 

Thanks,

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 18
vocalist, thank you for your write up...

I spent the whole day yesterday, reading 15 pages of opinion on the Westone.  Now, I need to read up on the PFE 232 :) 

Thanks,

You're welcome :) happy to help. Keep in mind if you get one from a good source like earphonesolutions.com or soundearphones.com you have 30 days to try them and can exchange for the other, possibly with a small restocking fee. Just your luck, too! A 20% coupon was just posted in the deals thread for earphonesolutions!!

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks vocalist and all for your suggestion!

I knew about the 20% at earphonesolution a week ago so that's why I was doing my research before hand :) 

I have decided to go with PFE 232 based on my research for the past 2 days.  Initially, I was going with Westone 4R until the 20% off sway me to try a different brand.  I did noticed that one of the annoying thing about Westone 3 is the cable.  EVERYTIME, I had untangled the wire before usage :frowning2:  It was a pain trying to get them apart.  Also, I have an iphone 4s so the mic is going to be a useful feature for me since I do get calls while I'm listening to my music :) 

I just hope this new earphone is going to last me at least 5 years and then I'll be happy.  The Westone 3 lasted me 3 years until I lost it :) 

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 18

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and hope you like them!  I agree with you on the tangling - no matter how I put my 4's into the case they always came out tangled.  I don't have that issue with the 232's and I really like that they come with an extra cable.  I personally also like the case that the PFE's come with because I can keep all of the accessories in the back pocket and the iem's in the front pocket.  They have caused me to look for a new DAP - can't be good, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back