Lost in Translation = awesome
Sep 20, 2003 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
i just saw this movie tonight and i was really impressed by it. about time i go to a theatre and see a movie that doesn't suck ass.

really great soundtrack. great direction and even better acting by bill murray and scarlett johansson. there might've been ten pages of dialogue for the whole picture, but so many shots were just framed and setup so well. it showed the angst/awkwardness/love of a relationship all at once. i was seriously impressed, and i really thought it was a big step over the virgin suicides.

looks like we're going to be seeing a lot of great films from sofia coppola. i suggest anybody needing to go on a date to keep this picture in mind, that is if the female in question has a soul.

anybody else see it?

Sep 20, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 25
Yeah, I agree. It was an amazing film (how often do you see a "Western" movie filmed ENTIRELY in Japan?) and the acting by Johansson and Murray was absolutely impeccable.

Scarlett Johansson is unbelievably beautiful. And she's eighteen. Jesus.

I found the movie.... depressing, but not. I don't know. I saw too much of myself in Johansson's character and too much of what I fear becoming in Murray's character, so it was kind of unsettling.

Still, though, a brilliant film, and I hope Murray and Johansson both get Oscars. They both deserve them.

- Chris

Oct 6, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 25
I totally agree! Great show! Likeable characters..

A DVD to get when it comes out....

on a side note, I wonder what Japanese people think about it....it pokes fun at the way they do things in several ways...

I also wonder if the moive would have the same effect if the characters were put in a country other than Japan....

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by hero zero
on a side note, I wonder what Japanese people think about it....it pokes fun at the way they do things in several ways...

My Japanese friend said that she really liked the movie - it gave her an American perspective on Japanese culture. She also said that a lot of the Japanese dialogue in the movie was hilarious!

I really liked the movie too, BTW.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 25
scarlett johannson is only 18!? Rarely do actors play older characters, and i'm not talking about Eddie Murphy dressing up as Grandpa Klump. She's hot, and really good in this movie.

So much of the story was told by body language. Even from the star of 'Midnight Velocity'.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 25
So, audiophiles, who could make out what Bob said to Charlotte at the end? I couldn't. Kinda like listening to Kenny in South Park. I don't think it was meant to be heard, but my curiosity....

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 25
hmmm...she's so beautiful no one noticed what headphones she was wearin' throughout the movie?
rolleyes.gif

truly is a great movie...i want a hard copy...

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 25
She is, indeed, incredibly beautiful. Easily one of (if not the) most beautiful actresses out there today.

Sentral, I don't think it was meant to be heard.

- Chris

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by emelius
hmmm...she's so beautiful no one noticed what headphones she was wearin' throughout the movie?
rolleyes.gif

I noticed!!! It was not worth noticing!!!

They were Bose Quiet Comfort's
mad.gif

(You're in Japan! Get some Eggo's!)

[i think you can see more clearly what they are during her train ride to Kyoto]

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 25
i keep wondering what the subtitles on the dvd will say for that scene at the end. incredibly well-acted scene though, i really must say.

she was definitely wearing bose headphones. gah, i'm pathetic.

anybody consider the idea that bill murray and scarlet johansson were picked for the roles because they were basically playing themselves? i have no trouble imagining that the both of them could end up in a similar situation in their everyday lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back