Lost hope for RE0 bass
Oct 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mrbrad

100+ Head-Fier
I have done everything I can think of to get my RE0 earphones to generate bass. I have played with all of the tips supplied as well as tips from other earphones that have the same type of fitting. I have "burned" them in by letting them play on my PC overnight for 3 days, but that didn't help. My main music source is an iPod, and as most people know, the equilizer isn't very usable. All that is left is to use them exclusively on my Sansa clip with bass boost or send them back.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I went through this with Shure E3Cs, and they mostly sit in a drawer.

Thanks. Brad.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 16
my solution to this problem? (since I had the same problem).
Sold them and got some JVC Victor FX500's instead..much happier
smily_headphones1.gif
if you want alot of bass the RE0's aren't for you,

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 16
My RE0's have plenty of bass with my Clip+ (no EQ) and Rockboxed iPod Photo (with bass set to +3db). More burn-in might help slightly, but it seems like you want alot of bass. Maybe get a Fiio E5 and use that bass boost? Not sure what else to tell you.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 16
They really should be run with an amp.

Yes, they are not bass heavy phones. They have good extension, but they're not much for bass fans. EQing can help if you've got it, and you'll still need plenty of power to push it out.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Can't really understand why people are willing to exchange bass quality for quantity, but if you really need overwhelming bass, you should consider other phones.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 16
but FX500's have awsome quality and plenty of quantity

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 16
I think Klipsch Image and Custom 3 are great IEMs for those who want to listen hidden details(detailed mids and highs) in music with more rich bass.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 16
For the record, I am not looking for overwhelming bass. I own a pair of UM2s and feel they have just the right amount of bass. I also have HD595s, which are also just right. My portapros, on the other hand, have too much bass for my taste. With the RE0, the bass is so weak, it ruins the music IMHO.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the RE0, the bass is so weak, it ruins the music IMHO.

You should listen to my iPod rig (iPod + LOD + Cmoy + RE0's). Almost enough bass with N.W.A. to rattle my head.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a pair of UM2s and feel they have just the right amount of bass.

Actually UM2 is what I consider to have rather good bass response. If you find it 'just right', then you will be disappointed with a majority of IEM out there.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maeglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't really understand why people are willing to exchange bass quality for quantity, but if you really need overwhelming bass, you should consider other phones.

I think a certain amount is just expected. I am off put by an excess of bass, and I didn't think an earphone like Etymotic's ER4S was really lacking, but even with the RE0, I felt it was a bit light, enough so to be well aware of it with a lot of music. Back when I had the RE0, I ran it off a small FiiO E5 amp. I question if something like that was enough for the RE0. I've always questioned the idea that it really needs a LOT of power to sound good and full. The other cue was a lack of effortlessness in sound. It always sound constrained and sounded like it was working hard just to get the sound you hear. I'm curious if a very robust amp is required for these things to really let them belt out sound effortlessly and fully. I've contemplated buying another pair and just trying them with a lot more power on tap. I now have a Corda 2Move that is quite a bit more robust then the little E5 amp (although that does fair quite well for most use).

The amount of amping is something I haven't really seen anybody comment on. I've run mine with and without amping, and it did show a difference but not vast at lower volumes. I just question if it needs serious juice just to achieve better dynamic range.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Klipsch Image and Custom 3 are great IEMs for those who want to listen hidden details(detailed mids and highs) in music with more rich bass.

I agree the image s4 is a really great IEM. They are very detailed with the mids and treble and doesnt lack the bass. I prefer them over the ne-7ms bass. Even though the ne-7ms bass is a smidge more noticeable on the very low bass notes. The s4 is much more fun to listen to, heck Ive noticed alot of different symbols and instruments listening to my s4s that I have never noticed with songs that Ive been listening to for years
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 16
your offcially a basshead
biggrin.gif

I own RE0 and the FiiO E5 and the results -
Cowon D2+ > RE0 - I agree, lacks the lows, but the FiiO E5 is a miracle worker for these IEMs, when it comes to bass. Cowon D2+ > FiiO E5 > RE0 gives you rich highs, mids and also lows. The E5 gives it the necessary punch and if you are the earthquake type, then the BASS BOOST adds a great amount

To put it in another way. (Please keep in mind, I am sort of a audiophile noob)
The RE0 aren't particularly easy to drive, even more difficult is to make them sound "dynamically". The MP3 player alone isn't up to this job, and this is were the (for example) the FiiO comes in (I have it set to BASS BOOST off, and even so it gives them the low. For me personally, they don't lack bass if you give them the juice. Their treble is just to irresistible for me to give up.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could may well be the case, but the soundstage sucks big time.

does it? yet some people compare the soundstage to the IE8..not as big but close enough. I find the soundstage wide, certainly more than the RE0 by a noticible margin..never listened to the IE8's so cannot compare with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back