Lost an Amp through USPS. Any Hope?
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
So about 2 months ago, someone purchased an iBasso D2 off of me. I sent it to Italy (First class = no insurrance or no tracking << STUPID IDEA). The new owner never received the package (this was about a month later). I reimbursed the new owner for the loss.

But what do you think actually happened to the package? stuck in customs? is their hope to get it back? Anyone have a similar story?

Thanks for any info,

-Elluzion

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 11
My belief is you got screwed. Without insurance and with no tracking they hold no responsibility and you have no idea where it may be, or if it got delivered. Sorry for the loss.
I have had a similar experience with items off of ebay, but luckily we had tracking so we got it figured out, apparently they sent the package to a different house about 2 blocks over to someone with the same last name.

Dave

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 11
That's a terrible experience
frown.gif

Yesterday I almost had a heart break when the tracking number of my LittleDot MKVI told that my package had arrived. However, when I came to the post office, they said that there was no package for me. Somehow I found out that they sent it to my college's Service Center. That made me mad because my shipping address is in the post office.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 11
Sending 1st class internationally is certainly a bad idea ... as you now know all too well. If you D2 ever shows up it will be a miracle. I just learned this lesson the hard way myself.

Fortunately for me it was a small item with an even smaller price. Damage to my wallet is minimal. But it did affect the international sale I just concluded. I felt forced to build in protection for myself because of the screwing I took on the previous international deal.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So about 2 months ago, someone purchased an iBasso D2 off of me. I sent it to Italy (First class = no insurrance or no tracking << STUPID IDEA). The new owner never received the package (this was about a month later). I reimbursed the new owner for the loss.

But what do you think actually happened to the package? stuck in customs? is their hope to get it back? Anyone have a similar story?

Thanks for any info,

-Elluzion

You are one good seller. Usually the selling notice will state that if the buyers don't purchase shipping insurance (for a few bucks more usually) or don't choose a trackable shipping method, THEY are screwed if the item doesn't arrive.

But I guess if the seller didn't offer trackable method or didn't specify, then the seller is to share some of the blame too

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jantze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess there is a reason why so many ebay sellers won't ship to Italy.

Sorry for your loss.

Ditto!
Italy don't have a highly respected postal service, sadly.
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for any info,

-Elluzion

Italy is famous for their terrible and inept mail/customs service. Most likely you weren't the victim of fraud, but the victim of the Italian postal system.

Many online sellers will ship anywhere in the world except Italy and Brazil due to the postal and customs problems these countries have.

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 11
I'll second that comment about Italian customs - they have been taking two months or more to process items, if they ever arrive at all that is. It might turn up unexpectedly in a few weeks, but whether you hear about it is a different matter.

Just out of interest: was the recipient in the north or south of Italy?

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 11
You shouldn't have reimbursed the buyer. I make it clear to international buyers that unless they pay for tracked shipping, their package won't be tracked and I take no responsibility for anything being lost.

Luckily that's never happened to me.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

You shouldn't have reimbursed the buyer. I make it clear to international buyers that unless they pay for tracked shipping, their package won't be tracked and I take no responsibility for anything being lost.

Luckily that's never happened to me.

^ well i don't think I made this clear, the person (anonymous) offered me the money, and i said it would be $x extra for shipping to Italy (i was going the cheapest route for the customer) and in the end I should have said to pitch in the extra for the insurance and tracking. Oh well. we all learn.

Thanks for all the sympathy, although the amp was only $200, i am now a starving college student with no income, so that one hurt. Since i didn't offer the insurance or anything to the buyer, the loss is on me and the reimbursement had to be done unfortunately. I am not sure what part of Italy it was sent to. I have been told from others that their is a chance it will get sent back to me or arrive at the location I sent it too in a few months. But i am not counting on it. This definitely taught me my lesson, I will ALWAYS insure and track. Don't do what I did, Don't get caught learning the hard way, insure and track first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back