Lossless at home, lossy on the go?
Feb 26, 2006 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I have a bit of a problem here... Back a few months ago I began ripping all my cds, as a compromise I choose a very high quality MP3 VBR setting that qwas transparent to me. Now, I have the hard drive space at home to go lossless, but I still need to accomidate my iPod nano, so I would like to switch to using lower quality vbr files for it, something i nthe area of -v 6 preset. Anyway, where the problem sets in is using itunes for playback and transfering songs to the nano. I'm lost as to how I could mirror ratings and such between my lossless files and the lossy files which will be sent to the ipod.

I did consider maing a simple program to batch process the itunes library and rename all the extensions in order to transfer my ratings in between the lossless and lossy files, which woudl work.. I would just create a second user account and put my lossy files on that... Still, thats a big pain.. there HAS to be an easier way. Has anyone discovered a hack to enable using on the fly encoding with the nano? That would be aweosme to be able to do on the fly encoding from ALAC to AAC in itunes when transfering to my nano.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 6
What cans are you using?

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mahoy
What cans are you using?

At the moment? Home... XD400, Mobile... Panasonic HJE-50s... Top quality on the go isn't that important to me... I'm more concerned about having more songs on the Nano, and from some quick listening test, -V 6 sounds great for the file size. I wouldn't want to use it at home though, if I had another choice.

Oh, and my main reason for going lossless at home is for archiving I guess, as I nwas never able to detect a difference between my -v 1 file and lossless.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 6
I personally have my cd collection in ALAC and in Lame MP3, Lossless for home playback and MP3 for my ipod, however i dont use the rating system at all (its pointless if you ask me) and so i dont have the difficulty you seem to be facing. What i do recommend however is that you tag all of your MP3 versions of music with a suffix (i personally add [L] onto the end of the album and artist) this makes searching for and differenciatign between the different versions easy at a glance.

As for your issue regarding song ratings... may i ask why you bother with them?

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I personally have my cd collection in ALAC and in Lame MP3, Lossless for home playback and MP3 for my ipod, however i dont use the rating system at all (its pointless if you ask me) and so i dont have the difficulty you seem to be facing. What i do recommend however is that you tag all of your MP3 versions of music with a suffix (i personally add [L] onto the end of the album and artist) this makes searching for and differenciatign between the different versions easy at a glance.

As for your issue regarding song ratings... may i ask why you bother with them?

Why do I bother with them? So I oly have to hear the songs I like... So I can hear the songs I liek the most more than songs I like a little bit less. It works out quite well, particularly when transfering songs to my ipiod, becausE I created a smartplaylist which sorts out mysogns based on rating and other tags and then limits the size to what my Nano can hold. Its much better than manualy creating a playlist... I love the ratings and its the only reason I really use iTunes.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 6
I hear ya, I struggled with this same issue. I finally decided to use Winamp with the ASIO plugin for my lossless playback and iTunes for synching my mp3's with my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back