Los Angeles, CA Audiophiles?
Jun 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

iLoveMyuzik

Head-Fier
Just trying get an idea of how many head-fi members are in the LA area and where they're located. It'll help for future meets. Haha.

I live in Koreatown, LA, but I go to school in Pasadena(PCC). :D

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 23
There are quite a few. Enough to put on a killer CanJam in '09. Wish you could have been there. :) Keep an eye on the Meet Forum - a few turn up each year.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
There are quite a few. Enough to put on a killer CanJam in '09. Wish you could have been there.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep an eye on the Meet Forum - a few turn up each year.

Well, you never know, I might be the organizer of such an event, despite my amateur level of audiophile knowledge. Haha. If I build it, they will come?

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 23
Actually, yes!

Anyone is welcome to organize a meet. It doesn't matter how long you've been here.

If you have access to a community room at a condo association, rental complex, or similar, organize a meet. We have a tradition of "passing the hat" to cover rental costs, too. However, contributions are not required and everyone is welcome. Typically, there are always enough contributions to cover the room and we're really good about not leaving a mess or irritating people. Hotels can be good places to organize meets, too.

Afterwards, we usually decamp to a restaurant for dinner and drinks. It's a good time and the LA crew is really nice; haven't met a single person who wasn't a good soul. Because LA is a fairly big market, you'll find a few manufacturers and dealers willing to come out, too. If rental costs run short, Head-Fi usually makes up the difference. However, that isn't a problem in LA; there's usually a surplus of contributions. We donate surpluses to Head-Fi to cover operating costs.

If you're willing to organize a meet, start a thread in the Meet Forum. You'll get advice from some of the experienced organizers and help from members. There's a lot of great gear in LA and you'll get a heap of goodwill for organizing a meet. Some effort is required, but you'll get a chance to hear almost all (if not all) of the high-end stuff, a few prototypes from local manufactures, and some cool DIY stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 23
Man, Uncle E., that sounds pretty tempting. Haha. Well, I'll keep an eye out for a decent venue, and we'll see what the future holds. :p

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 23
I live a couple hundred miles (250, actually) away but frequently visit my mother who lives in the ares. I'd be up for a 2012 meet(s).

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 23
Unless I'm mistaken, Jude mentioned a so cal meet around late February in his Tekzilla video.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 23
Feb 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back