Los Angeles and Orange County Audiophile Society Event
Jul 26, 2007 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
[align=center][size=large]Los Angeles and Orange County Audiophile Society Event[/size][/align]

Hey! I get to hit the road again! I've been invited to do a little dog and pony for the Los Angeles and Orange County Audiophile Society. It's [size=x-small]Sunday, August 19, 1-4pm at the Holiday Inn, Buena Park.

Here's the fun part: My schtick is not going to center around how great HeadRoom is (even though it might be pretty good), it will be about about what a great hobby being an Audiohile is because it includes an amazingly wide array of things: amps, speakers, turntables, CD players, sure; but also network streaming audio sources, computer audio, and, of course, headphones. Then I'll yabber on about the headphone part of the hobby, take a few questions, and then let people have at the gear.

Speaking of gear, it won't just be HeadRoom gear, I'm rounding up a few hand picked members
[/size]
[size=x-small] to show of some of the sexier systems amongst the LA [/size][size=x-small]Head-Fi crew so that the Audiophile Society[/size][size=x-small] folks can get a taste of member gear; I've invited Craig from Eddy Current to show of a bit of gear; and I've just realized I should probably invite the folks at UE as their local.

Lastly, I'd like to invite any of you who'd like to to show up and support your local audiophile society. Bob Levi (who heads the society) does a GREAT job of putting together an interesting schedule of events, I'm sure some of you would get a kick out of participating in their group and representing for the headphone geeks.

For those of you who are not in the LA area, I have good news: this event is really a dry run for me; I intend to set up a tour of meetings with regional audiophile societies next fall that have the theme of bringing the headphone aspect of audio enthusiasm more to the attention of traditional audiophiles. I hope some of you with killer systems will be willing to join me in introducing these audio centrists to the pleasures of killer headphone audio. And, of course, since I'll be around, I'd be more than willing to entertain personally attending a local Head-Fi meet if you decide to have one when I'm in town. After I get a schedule of events with the Audiophile Societies and tour map together (probably sometime early next year) I'd be happy to coordinate with you guys to set some meet dates.

So, see you in LA soon, or somewhere else along the way next year.

[/size]

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 60
Sounds like fun.

There's a thread going on here as well.

wink.gif

-Ed

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 60
whats a "Audiohile"
wink.gif

have fun!

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats a "Audiohile"
wink.gif

have fun!

That's a typo, the second "i" should be an ....., well I'm sure you can figure it out. And it applies several ways, not the least of which is financially.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm rounding up a few hand picked members[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][size=x-small] to show of some of the sexier systems amongst the LA [/size][size=x-small]Head-Fi crew

Lastly, I'd like to invite any of you who'd like to to show up and support your local audiophile society
[/size]

Darn! I've been planning to go to these for the longest time. But I am stuck in Africa for this date.
eek.gif
Sorry I'll have to miss it! At least I have my iMod, tomahawk, ALO-IC, and a couple IEMs with me (in my headroom bag...)
cool.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 60
Thanks for the invite. It seems that we don't have enough of these gatherings here in SoCal. You're right, Bob Levi and that gang do put on some pretty interesting meetings.
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 60
Hmmmm....I think I must attend!!!

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 60
Soooooooooo......

I had a long talk with Bob Levi (LA/OC Ausio Society Prez) and it was a great chat. We're going to rent a bit bigger room---for a second time---and really try to whip up a frenzy. So....whip, whip, whip, here's what the room will look like:

laoc2007.jpg

First, and formost for all you students and those with injured wallets, the food will be FREE! Woohoo! There will also be a cash bar in the room for speedy drink service.

Second...well maybe first...there will be a raffle. We're giving away a Desktop Millett Hybrid, A pair of HD650s, and two BitHeads each with a pair of UE headphones (I'm not sure which type yet).

I'm bringing some oddly configured amps down for sale CHEEP! These amps will have about a 30% discount. I'm also bringing down 10 BitHead/UE super.fi 5 pro systems to sell cheap. Also, if you show up you'll be told a coupon code that will get you a 15% discount on our website for a little while. (And no fair publishing the code for the lurkers that don't make it!)

909 has been helping me out in drumming up a few members with nice rigs to show off to the Society members they are:

DigiPete, 909, Edwood, johnsonad, guzziguy, and LFF

So you guys can bring your gear, and thank you so much for helping the community show our stuff to the broader audiophile world. Big round of applause!
eggosmile.gif
You guys can come in as early as 10am to set-up.

The rest of you Los Angelenos can certainly feel free to hang a pair of cans around your neck and walk around like the geeks I know and love.

As I said previously, Ultimate Ears and Eddie Current will be setting up displays as well. What I didn't know is the UE will be bringing the NEW UE11 with the generic tip adaptors for people to try out! I'm going to hook them up with a Max with Krell transport for them to demo on. That should be very interesting. (Me? Meh. By then I'll have my spanking new FREE personal custom set of UE11s. Yeah, they contacted me and asked if I'd like a pair so I could talk about them knowledgably. I know, tough job.) Anyway, here's your rare chance to hear what I'll likely call the world's best headphone by the time I spend 20 hours with mine driving to LA.

I will be bringing down all the usual HeadRoom suspects---new Micro Prototypes (damn, no production units yet, sooo close), Desktop Portable, and Micro Portable, plus all the other amps you'd expect. And I am bringing the Wadia and Max Balanced rig. I will also have the Desktop Audiophile System with our new speaker stands and a running Desktop Class-D Power Amp prototype there for you to have a look at, but I'm not going to run it out loud too much.

The doors officially open at 1:00, but I could definately use a hand setting up starting at around 10am, so if two or three of you would like to help me out just PM me, and I'll erase this paragraph when I get a few volunteers.

So, come one, come all, come off it! You know there's something more important to do that you could skillfully avoid by coming to join up with a whole 'nother crew of Angelino Audiophiles at the LA/OC Audio Society monthly meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back