loosen up your cans...
Sep 15, 2001 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jmpsmash

100+ Head-Fier
i know hi-fi people take months to run-in their speakers at really loud volumes, despite owning my hd580 for more than a year now, i haven't really done any formal run-in. i usually listen to classical music, which is rather mellow compared to what most of you listen to.

so i was sitting at home the other night, and suddenly have this thought: how much torture can my hd580 take?

this is also a good chance to run-in my new Clou Blues.

so i took my spare x-cansv2, popped my Kodo Taiko CD into the player. plug hd580 into it, and turn the sucker all the way up!

i swear, i can hear the music loud and clear all the way from my living room to my bedroom. for those who doesn't know, the Kodo is a Japanese drumming group, with gigantic 5 feet diameter drums. very very loud.

i was scared that i will literally burned the hd580 or the x-cans2. but well, what the heck, it looked ok.

i hid the hd580 under a few layers of comforter/pillow/blanket mix, so i can actually get some sleep.

the result? well, after a day or two doing that. i noticed some difference!! literally, the music is now coming out of the hd580 is so much more effortless. the bass response is better, everything sounds much more open!

try this at home, but don't sue me if you blow up your cans, ok?

Sep 15, 2001 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 10
How much power does it take to blow a set of headphones?
Would a Corda be able to blow the HD600, SR80, or V6?

Sep 15, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Originally posted by jmpsmash

Quote:

so i took my spare x-cansv2, popped my Kodo Taiko CD into the player. plug hd580 into it, and turn the sucker all the way up!

You have got some gonads to do that!
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2001 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by FunkeHomosapien
How much power does it take to blow a set of headphones?
Would a Corda be able to blow the HD600, SR80, or V6?

how much power? not sure.

i am repeating the process, but tonight i am doing it with my earmax pro instead of the x-cans v2. i noticed that the EMP does not go nearely as loud as the XCv2. also, i think the EMP clipped on the really loud bangs.

this seems to agree with what markl has said, the EMP isn't quite as powerful enough.

anyway. the EMP is rated at 0.15W. the XCv2 is rated at 1W. the EMP has a pure tube OTL output stage, while the XCv2 is buffered by MOSFETs (probably explains the higher power)

and neither is enough to blow the HD580...

Sep 15, 2001 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Whether its my moderator head or what, I'm not sure... but I think that a disclaimer should be added there...

I cranked my own X-CansV2 + HD580 combo as far as I dared a few weeks back, and the drive units were popping at 2pm, no way that they could handle anymore output out of a standard CDP (although volumes do differ between PCDPs, CDPs, PCs, and DVDs... so I daresay that some setups have more tolerances than others)

Also, I have to correct the statement that the HD580s can handle 1 watt of power... that isn't correct... Maximum load for the 580s is 200mw!!

On a happier note, I do agree with the principle, I DID cook my combo too... and the results are better (imo)... just don't go anywhere over 12 o'clock on the volume!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I think any difference you noticed was result of a placebo. It's not about having the phones as loud as they can possibly go, it's simply about running some music through them and letting them "warm up" so to speak. If you've had them for a year I doubt they could be burned in any more. Then again, maybe it was the cables, who knows.

Sep 16, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Another thing to remember here is that "clipping" is actually an amplifier problem, not a headphone problem. When you hear clipping in your headphones, it's because the amp has reached its limit.

Damaging the headphone is a step above *that*
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back