Loose RCA Jacks...HELP!
Mar 9, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Sure, open the amp and take a look, it's either secured with a nut, in a frame that has a screw-down (you'd typically see the screw from the back unless there were another sticker or panel overtop of it), or is only secured by soldering to the PCB.

The latter is usually reserved for very cheaply made stuff and if it had pulled tracks up on the PCB then you'd look at how to repair that. Sometimes super-glue can tack down the track again or other times a jumper would be needed if the track is too damaged, then assess the options for mechanically fixing it better so the same thing doesnt' happen again (epoxy is a good last resort).

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 8
On of the pitfalls of "high quality" death grip RCA plugs is they are jack wreckers of the first order and especially so if the jacks are PCB types which can twist right off the board !

Because of that I have to use jacks with WAY more metal content than I like just to get a strong/secure plug proof relaible connection.I crank those puppies down so hard I just know I am going to snap one one of these days and be pissed when I have to replace it

I regularly snap the lugs off when I change car tires on the "it is not tight enough,just one more turn" theory and anyone that knows about that ,replaceing the lugs which means pulling the tire and breaks and is presswork would know why I no longer change tires for others
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hopefully you have the heavy metal/nut mount type and if so a crescent wrench of the right size for the LAST turn after hand tightening should do 'er
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
On of the pitfalls of "high quality" death grip RCA plugs is they are jack wreckers of the first order and especially so if the jacks are PCB types which can twist right off the board !

Because of that I have to use jacks with WAY more metal content than I like just to get a strong/secure plug proof relaible connection.I crank those puppies down so hard I just know I am going to snap one one of these days and be pissed when I have to replace it

I regularly snap the lugs off when I change car tires on the "it is not tight enough,just one more turn" theory and anyone that knows about that ,replaceing the lugs which means pulling the tire and breaks and is presswork would know why I no longer change tires for others
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hopefully you have the heavy metal/nut mount type and if so a crescent wrench of the right size for the LAST turn after hand tightening should do 'er
icon10.gif

You sound like a good candidate for locking plugs like the Dayton or WBT type
k1000smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

You sound like a good candidate for locking plugs like the Dayton or WBT type

Actually I am REAL close to totally losing the RCAs in the DIY part of my system and going straight to LEMO plugs and jacks.I really have no valid reason to have any "standard" plugs going from Project-a to Project-B other than habit and when the actual RCA interface is considered a damn lot of reasons to change
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Actually I am REAL close to totally losing the RCAs in the DIY part of my system and going straight to LEMO plugs and jacks.I really have no valid reason to have any "standard" plugs going from Project-a to Project-B other than habit and when the actual RCA interface is considered a damn lot of reasons to change
icon10.gif

The RCAs on my Pimeta are killing me for the reasons mentioned above. I've never heard of the LEMO plugs, Rick, how are they?

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

The RCAs on my Pimeta are killing me for the reasons mentioned above. I've never heard of the LEMO plugs, Rick, how are they?

They are a totally non standard audio plug so would mean custom made DIY cables also but man,they whip any RCA plug/jack ever made on both technical merit and sonics.Most often this type of connector is used in the medical field or in the high-speed test equipment field where contact integrity and trouble free are paramount.

I currently use the multipin latching plugs for low voltage power supply connections but the two pin+shell versions have been used by others with great success and me in experiments with the only real thing stopping me from going full bore has been like I said habit !

Almost forty years of using RCAs is hard to break away from
icon10.gif

do a search on LEMO U.S.A. and/or REDEL for the lineup details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back