Loose RCA Jacks...HELP!
Mar 9, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 8

mono

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Posts
1,412
Likes
11
Sure, open the amp and take a look, it's either secured with a nut, in a frame that has a screw-down (you'd typically see the screw from the back unless there were another sticker or panel overtop of it), or is only secured by soldering to the PCB.

The latter is usually reserved for very cheaply made stuff and if it had pulled tracks up on the PCB then you'd look at how to repair that. Sometimes super-glue can tack down the track again or other times a jumper would be needed if the track is too damaged, then assess the options for mechanically fixing it better so the same thing doesnt' happen again (epoxy is a good last resort).
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 8

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
13,874
Likes
14
On of the pitfalls of "high quality" death grip RCA plugs is they are jack wreckers of the first order and especially so if the jacks are PCB types which can twist right off the board !

Because of that I have to use jacks with WAY more metal content than I like just to get a strong/secure plug proof relaible connection.I crank those puppies down so hard I just know I am going to snap one one of these days and be pissed when I have to replace it

I regularly snap the lugs off when I change car tires on the "it is not tight enough,just one more turn" theory and anyone that knows about that ,replaceing the lugs which means pulling the tire and breaks and is presswork would know why I no longer change tires for others
very_evil_smiley.gif


Hopefully you have the heavy metal/nut mount type and if so a crescent wrench of the right size for the LAST turn after hand tightening should do 'er
icon10.gif
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8

NeilR

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Posts
929
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
On of the pitfalls of "high quality" death grip RCA plugs is they are jack wreckers of the first order and especially so if the jacks are PCB types which can twist right off the board !

Because of that I have to use jacks with WAY more metal content than I like just to get a strong/secure plug proof relaible connection.I crank those puppies down so hard I just know I am going to snap one one of these days and be pissed when I have to replace it

I regularly snap the lugs off when I change car tires on the "it is not tight enough,just one more turn" theory and anyone that knows about that ,replaceing the lugs which means pulling the tire and breaks and is presswork would know why I no longer change tires for others
very_evil_smiley.gif


Hopefully you have the heavy metal/nut mount type and if so a crescent wrench of the right size for the LAST turn after hand tightening should do 'er
icon10.gif



You sound like a good candidate for locking plugs like the Dayton or WBT type
k1000smile.gif
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 8

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
13,874
Likes
14
Quote:

You sound like a good candidate for locking plugs like the Dayton or WBT type


Actually I am REAL close to totally losing the RCAs in the DIY part of my system and going straight to LEMO plugs and jacks.I really have no valid reason to have any "standard" plugs going from Project-a to Project-B other than habit and when the actual RCA interface is considered a damn lot of reasons to change
icon10.gif
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 8

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Posts
8,010
Likes
135
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Actually I am REAL close to totally losing the RCAs in the DIY part of my system and going straight to LEMO plugs and jacks.I really have no valid reason to have any "standard" plugs going from Project-a to Project-B other than habit and when the actual RCA interface is considered a damn lot of reasons to change
icon10.gif




The RCAs on my Pimeta are killing me for the reasons mentioned above. I've never heard of the LEMO plugs, Rick, how are they?
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 8

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
13,874
Likes
14
Quote:

The RCAs on my Pimeta are killing me for the reasons mentioned above. I've never heard of the LEMO plugs, Rick, how are they?


They are a totally non standard audio plug so would mean custom made DIY cables also but man,they whip any RCA plug/jack ever made on both technical merit and sonics.Most often this type of connector is used in the medical field or in the high-speed test equipment field where contact integrity and trouble free are paramount.

I currently use the multipin latching plugs for low voltage power supply connections but the two pin+shell versions have been used by others with great success and me in experiments with the only real thing stopping me from going full bore has been like I said habit !

Almost forty years of using RCAs is hard to break away from
icon10.gif


do a search on LEMO U.S.A. and/or REDEL for the lineup details
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top