Loose headphone jack on the Predator?
Jul 25, 2008 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mteorman

Head-Fier
I just got my Predator in the mail today. However, I noticed that the headphone jack doesn't really "grab" the plug very securely and it's pretty easy for the plug to come out. The line in, on the other hand, is a bit more secure, although neither are as secure as, say, the iPod's jack, or the headphone jack on my Dell laptop.

Did anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if I should send it back to Ray...

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 14

Edi

Head-Fier
I just received my Predator yesterday as well, both the line in and out seem to be nice and snug for me. I have an ALO bling-bling going into the line in and a Beyer DT880 going into the out port. You may want to contact Ray just to be safe and see what he thinks you should do.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 14

Rico67

500+ Head-Fier
I have the same issue than mteorman.
Line out for headphone is not very secure compare to my hold hornet.
I don't know if it's normal or not,but it'sn't a good thing.

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 14

Aimless1

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to contact Ray just to be safe and see what he thinks you should do.

If you have a question or something doesn't seem quite right, by all means call Ray Samuels. He stands behind his product and his customer service reputation is legendary. I can tell you it's not likely due to faulty craftsmanship, but perhaps he had a bad batch of jacks?

I'm the third owner of a Tomahawk that had "loose" jacks after 100s of hours of use. I returned it Ray under warranty, paid $15 for shipping and handling and the Tommy was repaired and returned in short order...and fixed correctly. I also had the pleasure of talking to Ray. I learned quite a bit in just a few minutes of chit chat.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 14

mcmyers

100+ Head-Fier
Mine (331) is loose as well. It isn't a problem, as I do most of my listening sitting with my laptop, but the rare occasions when I use it in my pocket with an ipod, the headphone plug can slip out as I'm walking around. I'm sure Ray would fix it if I asked, but I'm not sure I want to be without it for as long as it would take to get it fixed.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 14

mteorman

Head-Fier
Ah, sorry, I almost forgot about this one.

Anyways, Ray sent me something about making sure I use a 1/4"-1/8" wire adapter (as opposed to a solid metal thing), and cleaning the tip with alcohol to get a good fit. The first point is addressed since I already do use such a thing (Grado wire), and the second point is moot since my headphones are all of two weeks old.

The problem isn't terrible so I didn't bother pressing him further for repairs, but still... if my 20 Sony CD player can grip the jack securely, surely the ~$500 Predator can?

PS: Does anyone know if Ray does color changes? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable cost. And maybe I would get a different set of jacks...?

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 14

penger

500+ Head-Fier
Yes. I'm pretty sure Ray does color changes, but cost depends on the unit (I asked about the Apache, so the price I got quoted doesn't really apply here). Not sure about getting a different set of jacks though, but I get the feeling he will honor your request.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 14

mteorman

Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I'm pretty sure Ray does color changes, but cost depends on the unit (I asked about the Apache, so the price I got quoted doesn't really apply here). Not sure about getting a different set of jacks though, but I get the feeling he will honor your request.

Alright, then - it's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread