Loose adjuster on Westone UM series
Mar 13, 2009 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know a good way to tighten the cord adjuster thing on Westone IEMs (it's definitely the same on the UM1 and UM3). Mine (on UM2) has become quite loose now - it doesn't, annoyingly, fulfil its purpose, because it quickly comes loose and subsequently so does the cable near my neck.

I have a pair of Westone UM1s too, which I haven't used much at all, and the adjuster on those is much tighter.

A pic, in case you don't know what I'm talking about.
y_split.jpg

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Sorry, no help. The first thing I did upon receiving my UM2s (and now W3s) was to remove that nuisance and simply wear them normally in front, without issues - my main reason being to obtain as much slack from the 'Y' lengths as possible. My older UM2 came with the simple clear plastic sleeve & I just slit it off, figuring if I really needed it back I could simply use tape or velcro on the cable. I greatly prefer both without. Good luck.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 5
I have to agree; the coupler doesn't have sufficient grip. I think it's so it doesn't cause unbinding or unwinding of the twisted cord. Unfortunately, it also is highly ineffective and despite my many ponderings on it, I haven't come up with a good solution other than twisting the coupler once or twice to lock it in place, but I worry that can cause undue wear and tear to the wires, so I no longer do that on my second pair of Westone 3 (first pair was replaced due to failure at the Y-junction).

-Ed

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 5
guys you are supposed to twist the adjuster and it will stay put. so just tighten it to the desired level and then twist it; usually just once and you will feel it cinch there. stays there until you take it off.... user error i'm afraid guys
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 5
qusp, you haven't noticed any unbinding or untwisting of the cable from doing this?

I'm afraid to try anything risky with mine ever since I had to get it replaced due to y-junction failure. Once you've had something like that happen, you consider the product to be extremely fragile. I treat my equipment with absolute care and there should be no reason for that happening unless it was faulty or defective to begin with (possible, but I'd like to think Westone 3 QC is better than that). My new pair so far doesn't have a single unwind or kink anywhere, and I'd like it to stay that way. My first pair had two unwindings and then the y-junction failed (although come to think of it, the two unwindings were on the mains line, not post-split where the coupler is, hmm...).

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back