1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to Upgrade. Passive to Powered.

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by BabylonDown, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:39 AM.
  1. BabylonDown
    Hey everyone! So, I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-473 receiver to a pair of Polk RTI4 speakers and a Polk PSW10 sub, but I'm downsizing my space, so the clunky receiver has to go. I am looking for a pair of powered monitors that are at least as good as the RTI4's. The PSW10 isn't bad, but wouldn't mind something that went a little lower and was cleaner. This setup is strictly for movies and gaming.

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Yamaha HS5's, but am not sure if they're too reference sounding and don't know what sub to pair them with except for the HS8S. Things are getting a little pricey at this point and wonder if there are better bangs for buck out there.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:41 AM
  2. PurpleAngel Contributor
  3. BabylonDown
    Probably between $500-600 USD. New or used.

I've seen those around and they're definitely on my list. I was hoping to find something just slightly more aesthetically pleasing if I can get away with it.

4. BabylonDown
    The monitors I've been eyeing are the following:

JBL LSR305

Yamaha HS5

Presonus E5

KRK Rokit 5

I may or may not hold on to my sub for now as it still provides quite a bit of power for my application. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of HS5's this weekend and wanted to know that being paired with a sub, would they outshine the others listed in detail and quality considering they tend to be bass shy?