looking to upgrade from Shure se210
Jul 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jws919

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I currently am rocking the Shure se210. While I like these, I know there are better options out there for not an absurd amount of money (ideally I'd like to stick below $250, but have some wiggle room).

I used to have the Shure e3c, but those were stolen. I preferred these to the se210. So, that's where I am.

Comfort wise I like how the e3c fit in my ear best with the small black rubber tips (sorry for being a novice if I'm not up to date with the lingo), but don't especially mind how the se210 fits. I used to have a pair of Shure e2c but returned them because I found them horribly uncomfortable.

What are some suggestions on what/where to buy. I like the idea of the UE Super.fi 5 Pro having detachable cables for each earphone (or so I read). I like how my Shures wrapped around my ear from the top since they never would fall out this way. I had a pair of old Sony in-ear phones that fell out every 10 seconds. I'm sure this was undobutedly due to their cheapness, but it has made me hesitant for anything that doesn't come from around the ear from the top.

I listen to basically everything, but don't like the sound to be very bass heavy. I'm not a true audiophile, but like clear distinctions between bass and treble and a nice midrange. Overall, I've been happy with the se210 sound quality, but know I can get better.

Hit me with your suggestions. Any and all are appreciated.

EDIT:
Should probably mention these are used almost exclusively with an iPod and laptop.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 12
SF5 isn't a bad choice, but I am worrying whether you can get a good fit or not as you seem to have small ear canal. Try Sleek Audio SA6, it should fit just within your budget.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 12
I tried finding some nice quick comparison of the sf3, 4 and 5's and was unable to.

what are the differences in the super.fi models? am I going to be noticing big things from the 3 to the 5? would the 3 be an upgrade on the se210?

EDIT:

I just spent an hour reading through threads on here and have become nothing but more confused. It seems that the UEs are either love or hate, where the sleeks get either rave reviews or ambivalence. oh the decisions...

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 12
There is a big jump in SQ from SF3 to SF5, but not from SF3 to SE210 (or vise versa).

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a big jump in SQ from SF3 to SF5, but not from SF3 to SE210 (or vise versa).

what's the bass going to be like se210 v SA6? I don't mind the bass on the se210, it's the mid and treble that bother me - and the fact that if you have your ipod at half volume it sounds muddy (granted, this has to do with the ipod as well).

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 12
SA6 is much better in SQ than SE210, on bass, mid, treble, and even comfort.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 12
I agree with ClieOS 100%. I upgraded to the SA6 from SE210 within 1 week. In terms of sound quality and comfort, the SA6 beats the SE210 hand down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA6 is much better in SQ than SE210, on bass, mid, treble, and even comfort.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 12
seems like the SA6 is my choice unless anyone else has other thoughts?

I remember reading somewhere about getting the SA6 for under 200 on this board, but can't seem to find that post again. anyone know what I'm talking about? or am I crazy (more likely)?

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 12
SA6 could be obtained from soundearphones for 200 but that was only during the 4th july week. You can still PM Michael and I am sure he will send you a great price on SA6's. What I would recommend you is save some dough and just buy the SE530 or the TF10 that way you won't be left thinking "What if I purchased the .....?" you got my point there right ?

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA6 could be obtained from soundearphones for 200 but that was only during the 4th july week. You can still PM Michael and I am sure he will send you a great price on SA6's. What I would recommend you is save some dough and just buy the SE530 or the TF10 that way you won't be left thinking "What if I purchased the .....?" you got my point there right ?

so, here comes the revised question:

sleeks are $215 shipped on amazon.
se530 are $337 shipped on pricegrabber
triple.fi 10 pro are $322 on pricegrabber

clearly I prefer the $215...but if I'm going to do this, I may as well do it right.

with my current se210, I like the isolation level. As I've said, the bass is fine, but the mid and high can sometimes get muddied. It seems as if much of this will be fixed with the sleeks.

is it worth my extra $100+ to go with the triple.fi or se530? It's not going to break my bank completely (yay grad school loans!). I'd probably go for the se530 hands down if it weren't for 1 nagging fact: I HATE shure cords. the cord on both my pairs of e3cs and se230 have cracked/messed up in some way, plus I find them very easily tangled. I really like the idea of replaceable cords, but read the triple.fi's are universally regarded as less comfortable than the shures.

Then I come back to the fact that I may be just as happy while spending $215. Is the difference really 50% of the sleek's cost justified?

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Read the SA6 thread than you'll know TF10 isn't always the winner. Some people prefer it over SA6 but some other don't.

The question of "What if I purchased the .....?" will always be there regardless of which IEM you choose, you just have to convince yourself you have made the right choice.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 12
welp, through reading through 38 pages of the sa6 thread, I think I'm gonna give them a whirl once I have a stable address I can get them shipped to (ah the life of a grad school intern in NYC moving 4 times in <2months).

Thanks for input, I look forward to chiming in probably in a few weeks when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back