Looking to upgrade from Logitech X-230's
Jul 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

I<3SQ

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market to upgrade my PC audio, mainly for playing music. I currently have the Logitech X-230 system but it's simply not enough for me so I started thinking about getting something better. I've owned some Infinity L-MPS satellite speakers for about 10 years now but they've only been used for maybe a year or two, and that was back in the late 90's, early 2000's so I'd like to put them to work and build around that.

Knowing that I'd have to get an amp to push them, I've found the Dayton APA150 for $140 and thought that'd be a nice amp from which to push the Infinity's. My current sound card, a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio, leaves much to be desired so I'd looked around and found the AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 for $75 which is well within my budget and doesn't have oogles and googles of features that I'll never use, and gives me the ability to fine tune the sound via swapping OpAmps so i'm pretty much decided on this card.

To bring up the low end I thought the Dayton Audio Sub-80 would be a nice upgrade from my Logitech "sub" and at $95 wouldn't hurt my wallet too much.

First question, is there any equipment I've listed that I should absolutely steer clear of?

Second, the sub has speaker outputs and a high pass filter so does that mean I can get away without buying the amp and can run the Infinity's off the sub? Here's a pic of the back of the sub for reference:

300-631ii.jpg

Or would I run speaker wire from the outputs of the APA150 to the speaker inputs on the sub and then run speaker wire from the subs to the Infinity's?

Last but not least, should I run rca's from the Prodigy HD2 to the sub first or to the amp first? And then of course, I'd need to run rca's from one to the other.

Thanks in advance to any help you could give me. I think i'm pretty close to having my upgrade figured out but I'd just like to clarify a few things before I pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread