Looking to Upgrade from Beyer DT-770 80's
Mar 21, 2006 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RobxMcCarthy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've been using a pair of DT-770's for about 6 months now and I enjoy them immensely. They are incredibly fun cans to listen to. However, I have a few qualms.

A) They lack a refined sound when listening to piano music / classical. The soundstage is very upfront and instrument positioning seems to be a bit in my face... Piano recordings seem all over the place, even when a piano is positioned far away in a live hall recording it sounds extremely close. With rock/metal the mid section is a little lean and the abbrasive nature of the highs seems to shoren my listening session. This makes up the largest percentage of my music, and while the headphones are fun my sony MDRs sound more refined (shocking) with no bass.

B) My other issue is the in-between nature of the 80 ohm load. This makes it so that they can't effectively be used on portable devices (fuzzes out a bit when things get intense), or even computer audio card out (creative X-fi) and is a relatively low impedance for good amplifiers. This effect is not present when an amplifier is used so I'm assuming it's a driving issue. I'd prefer a 280-600 ohm model.

What I love about the 770-80's

A) Bass... Not much more to say here.. The low end is unparalleled.

B) Noise isolation is very nice when the environment is loud, however, I prefer the sound of an open can.

So, I'm looking for suggestions.

-I listen to mainly Rock/Metal However I don't like it to sound mashed together and up front. I largely listen to Prog which is generally well recorded. However, I want a pair of headphones that can "do" classical / piano / jazz as I frequent those genres 20% of the time.

-I'd prefer a higher impedance set of headphones (above 180)

-Open or closed doesn't matter

-Must have at least flat bass response to 40 hz. coming from the beyer, I don't think I could handle an AKG for instance.

-Comfortable (no electrostatics plz.. heh)

I've been looking into the Sennheiser HD 650's, but I've heard all too much about the bass being flabby and unacceptable. I like a nice punchy kick drum thank you very much.

Also I am recabling the DT-770's tonight (already braided /soldered the cable, just have to do the driver soldering / testing) So I'll probably write a review of how that changed my pair.

Ok, thanks for any input you can provide, it's greatly appreciated.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Myself I find it rather difficult to evaluate bass quality independently from bass quantity (except when things are obvious), so I'd take impressions on bass quality on the better cans with a grain of salt. That being said, closed models *may* reach deeper into the sub-bass though it's not that a good open one would be a slouch (even the ancient HD540 reaches below 40 Hz without much effort).

I think the '650 would be a good choice for you, it's known to "rock" better than 580 and 600 and shows a very smooth, slightly laid-back frequency response with good treble resolution. Here's what to expect vs. the DT770 (the DT990 is its open counterpart):
HD650 vs. DT990 FR
Your piano issues probably stem from the treble peak, and it's not surprising either that mids would seem a bit distant.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you bought an amp yet? One with the right bias/impedance can make your DT770 a whole new animal.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 9
The bass of the HD650 is QUITE refined in comparison to the DT770-80. Nothing about it is flabby or incorrect. You really ought to look into a pair, they're extremely multipurpose, and would fit your bill quite nicely.

Trust your own ears. I SERIOUSLY can't believe that anyone who heard the DT770-80 and the HD650 (two staples in my oft-changed can lineup) would classify the HD650 as such. There are many damn good reasons that so many Head-Fiers have a pair of HD650.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I have exactly the same question in fact: I also listen to metal and rock a lot(also other things youknow).Just no classical and jazz.
What would be a good headphone?
I went listening to some today, namely the 515,555,595,600 and 650.
In my opinion there was a big difference between the 500's and the 600's.A lot more treble and bass for the 500's.The 600's were much more cleaner and natural.But a bit lack of punch.What to do..I dunno.
Beyer is also quite good I've heard? the 880 maybe?

A friend of mine sold his AKG 501 and only kept is 555 due to a lack of punch he said.

thx a lot

Dave
Belgium

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1
I have exactly the same question in fact: I also listen to metal and rock a lot(also other things youknow).Just no classical and jazz.
What would be a good headphone?
I went listening to some today, namely the 515,555,595,600 and 650.
In my opinion there was a big difference between the 500's and the 600's.A lot more treble and bass for the 500's.The 600's were much more cleaner and natural.But a bit lack of punch.What to do..I dunno.
Beyer is also quite good I've heard? the 880 maybe?

A friend of mine sold his AKG 501 and only kept is 555 due to a lack of punch he said.

thx a lot

Dave
Belgium

Paired with my PPA, I find my HD650 has more punch than my DT880 did. The DT880 is far to polite for much of the music I listen to. No punch, what-so-ever. You may interperet the more authoritative lower end that the HD650 has as punchier... but I can't speak for your ears.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1
@Magnum22

huh?
in a way that number2 means ****?
wink.gif

@Mercuttio

and what about the AKG 701 and the Sony R10?

yeah, I know...so many choices...

Well I've never heard the R10. It's a REALLY pricey headphone, kind of out of the league of the 650 and K701, don't you think?

I only heard the AKG701 for an hour or two, and it really didn't flip my switch the way the HD650 does. It's getting harder to recall exactly what I didn't like about it, but I can't seem to remember thinking that it was any more impactful than the 650.

I simply think that the HD650 is a very natural upgrade for people who like the DT770-80. You get more warmth, a much more controlled lower end, and a really smooth midrange / overall experience. The DT770-80 seems rough and harsh by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back