Looking to upgrade from AKG K702
Oct 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #121 of 123
Well if I owned the T1, I would be using it with a tube amp. So your thoughts are appreciated nonetheless. Before I spend that kind of dough, obviously I would have to get an opportunity to sit down hear both of them. Side by side. Sounds like a dream!

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #122 of 123
Just a late update, I now own the AGK K712 and consider it the perfect update to the K702.  It still carries a similar sound, but in all the areas where the K702 could be improved, (more realistic and satisfying soundstage, better low end, more comfortable strap and pads, etc.), the K712 is the one to buy.  

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #123 of 123
That was an interesting decision, sometime ago I wanted to update my AKG Q701 and tried a few different headphones, one of them was the K712 and didnt like them at all, perhaps because they werent as burnt in as my Q701? The ones I like most out of all were the HD800, more than the T1s. But didnt get anything because I didnt have the money, I got the money now but now there is the K812 and the HD800s that I havent tried. And I am yet to decide for a decent amp.

I think I made the most of my Q701 by getting the Asus Essence STX II as my source/dac that goes into my AMB Labs M Cubed (aka M3) which I built myself. I couldnt be any happier with the setup, the only thing I need now are better cables, one for the AKGs and one stereo interconnect for my STX to amp.

I still plan on getting the new headphones, I'm just not sure yet if I will need a new Amp for them or not. If I dont I will get the cables and the headphones, then I'll report here how my experience has improved.

...sorry my post is a mess....

Back to my setup, the Mimpressed me, they made a huge difference to my Q701 and the best part of all is that the amp has a bass boost which gives my AKG all the bass it was lacking without any negatives. The only problem I had left was my source, I always had a hiss since the audio came from my pc, so the STX II sound card didnt just fix that but it gave my AKGs extra power and they dont just sound crystal clear and slightly better in overall but there is also zero hiss and no distortion, even with all the volume maxed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back