Looking to upgrade from AKG K702
Jul 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #106 of 123
Anybody got any opinions on the Audio Technica AD2000X (or any of the higher tier Audio Technica air models)?  Would that be a worthy upgrade from the K702's?,
I'm asking because I remember the AD700 being a somewhat similar style headphone but nowhere near as refined. 
The local store still doesn't have any HE500's to try. 
I purchased a second-hand set of Sony MDR-SA3000's because they use the same drivers as the SA5000's which are apparently 'hyper detailed with great treble etc etc'.  They sounded somewhat similar to the K702 with the Annie pads but not as good, there was nothing in the upper registers, the treble felt rolled off when AB'd with the K702's (with a cheap custom cable I made) so they will be sold.  This is a fun adventure, hopefully I'm helping somebody else here haha.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #107 of 123
Do as me and only buy used or for very good prices, so that you preferably won't loose any money. Just be a bit less specific in what headphones and gear you want, and don't be dead set on something specific. It can also be very satisfying.

Got a vintage Stax system for only 630$ that technically easily outperforms my HE-500 with my amp (1200$), for example. They are so different that they are hard to compare, though. Usually a good price would be +700$ for said system, and it competes with the newer sr-507 and srm-006t anyway (cost a lot more). I had never thought I would be Stax owner before
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #108 of 123
Sorry samwell7 for my unrelated question, but can I ask you between Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 & JDSlabs ODAC which one has the higher quality when using with K702 (& your O2)?(I ask this because I have a 2i2 & I'm not sure if it is the best choice for me or not. If ODAC is much better, so I would sell my 2i2 & get something like ODAC)

Thanks in advance

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #109 of 123
Quote:
Do as me and only buy used or for very good prices, so that you preferably won't loose any money. Just be a bit less specific in what headphones and gear you want, and don't be dead set on something specific. It can also be very satisfying.

Got a vintage Stax system for only 630$ that technically easily outperforms my HE-500 with my amp (1200$), for example. They are so different that they are hard to compare, though. Usually a good price would be +700$ for said system, and it competes with the newer sr-507 and srm-006t anyway (cost a lot more). I had never thought I would be Stax owner before
tongue_smile.gif

I've been scouring the for sale threads!

I'm gonna do this as well! just nervous about losing money on something that I don't like the sound of (like what happened with the Sony MDR-SA3000).  How does the HE-500 compare to the HE-400? because I had a listen to the HE-400 and even with my Valhalla it was way too bright!

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #110 of 123
Quote:
Sorry samwell7 for my unrelated question, but can I ask you between Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 & JDSlabs ODAC which one has the higher quality when using with K702 (& your O2)?(I ask this because I have a 2i2 & I'm not sure if it is the best choice for me or not. If ODAC is much better, so I would sell my 2i2 & get something like ODAC)

Thanks in advance

Hey mate, to be honest the ODAC>o2 system is better, if I go from the 8i6>o2 it is nearly as good but the output from the 8i6 (the headphone amp) colours it slightly.  Using just the 8i6 as a DAC and amp didn't work too well for me, it sounds not too bad with my K702's but with lower impedance cans it skews the frequency response quite badly, it seems to have less bass and more treble with everything I've tried it with under 300 ohms, it must have a high output impedance.  The difference isn't huge but it is there!

But if you are using it for audio production the ODAC has high latency and no inputs!

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #111 of 123
HE-500 is not bright at all. The Valhalla isn't suited for the 400 and 500. The Valhalla is mostly only good with high impedance cans.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #112 of 123
Thank you, samwell7.

I'm a little bit into creating Ambient music (Using field recording as my main source) & I need an audio interface like my 2i2. I thought it would work as my DAC perfectly, but from your reply it seems it isn't that good that I thought. So when I get my DT880 (Or Maybe HE-400) in the next weeks, I would get an amp & a DAC (Or an Amp/DAC).

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #113 of 123
Quote:
I've been scouring the for sale threads!

I'm gonna do this as well! just nervous about losing money on something that I don't like the sound of (like what happened with the Sony MDR-SA3000).  How does the HE-500 compare to the HE-400? because I had a listen to the HE-400 and even with my Valhalla it was way too bright!

The idea is, that you buy for a good price, and won't lose on it if you don't like what you hear. It is a hassle, though. Also you do risk getting into trouble of different kinds, but still offers appear on new stuff too... And personally I would never buy something like my Stax system from somebody I don't know is credible without picking it up myself (which I did, in this case from the original owner, who is now 80-some years old).

Well, the 400, in short is bright, but most people get used to it. The 500 is slightly dark and overall relaxed in signature, though not as dark as hd650. If you want to know more, just ask... I have heard both headphones and I know them quite well.

Why you sold the hd600?

Which pads do you prefer?

If you end up with HE-500 you must realize that you probably should get better amplification. It will probably end up being slightly expensive all in all, but then you will have your first hi-end headphone.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #114 of 123
Quote:
Thank you, samwell7.

I'm a little bit into creating Ambient music (Using field recording as my main source) & I need an audio interface like my 2i2. I thought it would work as my DAC perfectly, but from your reply it seems it isn't that good that I thought. So when I get my DT880 (Or Maybe HE-400) in the next weeks, I would get an amp & a DAC (Or an Amp/DAC).

dt880 for recording and the like. That is my personal recommendation, I guess...

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #115 of 123
Quote:
Thank you, samwell7.

Awesome!, the 2i2 is good as a DAC but the headphone amp isn't the best on it.  It is good for recording and stuff and low latency.  You could always use the 2i2 and an o2 like I did for a while.  If you want a good headphone for mixing try the Sony MDR-7520 or the Sennheiser HD600 (The sony is better though)

Quote:
The idea is, that you buy for a good price, and won't lose on it if you don't like what you hear. It is a hassle, though. Also you do risk getting into trouble of different kinds, but still offers appear on new stuff too... And personally I would never buy something like my Stax system from somebody I don't know is credible without picking it up myself (which I did, in this case from the original owner, who is now 80-some years old).

Well, the 400, in short is bright, but most people get used to it. The 500 is slightly dark and overall relaxed in signature, though not as dark as hd650. If you want to know more, just ask... I have heard both headphones and I know them quite well.

Why you sold the hd600?

Which pads do you prefer?

If you end up with HE-500 you must realize that you probably should get better amplification. It will probably end up being slightly expensive all in all, but then you will have your first hi-end headphone.

Yeah I feel bad hassling people for a cheaper price sometimes though haha but your ideas are good. 
I sold the HD600 because I was only using it for audio mixing/production and decided to get something that was closed and purpose built for mixing/mastering etc, the Sony MDR-7520.  I haven't had much time to compare the pads side by side, I think I might prefer the original pads to be honest. 
When you say better amplification do you have any examples? I have a Valhalla, an o2 and the scarlett 8i6 (which seems to be okay with higher impedance cans)

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #116 of 123
Valhalla is not good for orthos at all, it is made for high impedance cans. O2 probably won't deliver sufficient power, and many don't like it with the 400 and 500's. The focusrite is probably not good with orthos either..

There are many examples of good amps out there...

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #117 of 123
I apologize, I don't have time to read through the whole thread today, so I'm sorry if my post here just goes over old ground.

The K702 is my all-time favorite headphone after a lifetime of headphone fanaticism (on a lower middle-class budget, that is).  One summer when I was flush with cash and energy, and a lot of time due to an illness that had me out of work for a while, I decided I was going to find an upgrade for it.  Call it, the AKG K702 Rebooted, or something.

After buying over a dozen recommended headphones, both closed and open (and one IEM), a series of amps, and endless late nights with beer and chocolate reading, posting and responding on Head-Fi and reading zillions of online reviews, I narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD 800 or the Beyerdynamic T1.  And after exhaustive research on that, decided on the T1 due only to personal tastes.  Of course, the final decision would include actually hearing both of them side by side, which I haven't yet been able to arrange, and I can't afford 1k+ on cans anyway, so... I hit the end of my journey.

Bottom line, everything I read and researched seemed to indicate that the T1 is "the flagship K702" and "everything you love about your K702 but better," so that's my .02 here.

Good luck!

P.S.  The closest headphone I ever came in my listening tests to the K702 was the Beyer DT880 600-ohm version.  It had tighter, deeper, more pronounced bass and a really fat instrument presentation, using a Glow Audio One as my test amp.  It was a really, really tough call.  But the soundstage was simply more open and broader on the K702, and in the end it won me over and I stayed with the K702s.  I considered having both, but, I've always been a one-woman man. 
popcorn.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #118 of 123
Kouzelna, I have similar tastes to yours.  I have several headphones and all of them have strengths, but I nearly always
go for my K702s.  Overall it just has the most of what I want.  

And judging from occasional headphone meets -- while I've loved hearing HiFi Man gear, Audeze's, etc I suspect the HD 800
are probably what I'd go for.  The T1's are also very very  good, but for me the HD 800 were breathtaking.  I've been steadily saving up, but it is a slow process.  
Of course the new AKG K 812 have piqued my interest. So if my savings get to that level then I will want to audition those if at all possible.

For those who are especially swayed by clarity, precision, and soundstage (I guess I am) then the AKGs deliver astonishingly at their price.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #119 of 123
Hi flatmap,

thanks for the post!  Can you express what it was about the HD800 that you liked so much better than the T1?

I'm thrilled to hear the K812.  I'm really looking forward to a chance to do that.  I only hope I'll get that chance, as I know live in E. Europe, and we don't have a lot of call for that sort of hi-end gear.  Maybe when I visit the US next year.  If you get to hear it, can you be sure to post your thoughts here, in comparison to the K702 for example?  And HD800/T1?

I am like you, I love all kinds of cans, but swoon for clarity, precision and soundstage, exactly.  And with the right amp, you can get enough oomph from those cans to make up for any faults they have.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #120 of 123
Hi Kouzelna, on the AKG K812s, I am very much hoping that someone in the local head-fi community will be
bringing them to a meet so I can hear them.  Perhaps sometime next year.  It's just possible that
one of the local dealers will have them, though that's a long shot.  Definitely cannot see ordering
the HD800 until I have a chance to evaluate the K812.  Well, and assuming I stay true to my
savings plan.  My savings history is interrupted by car break-downs, leaky roofs, plumbing
problems, and etc.

The T1 is a strong competitor, though it does not seem to get as much press as much as the HD800.  
In the USA, I think Sennheiser has had a more effective presence, attending more US shows, arranging
more reviews and etc.

For me, the HD800 presented a greater illusion of sonic extent and 'depth.' I also felt individual
notes/instruments were just a bit more sharply defined, especially in orchestral works.  Quite possible
that the T1 impressed more on small ensemble jazz, however.  So overall the HD800 just took me further out
into the apparent sound field and -- when I arrived at the far reaches -- each point had slightly higher contrast.
After listening, I was left with the feeling I had never heard anything as good.  For me, IMO, and etc.

Let me say, however, that I'm not sure I heard the T1 with the best amplifier match.  I'm guessing it might
have done better with a high end solid state amp... and I heard it via a single-ended tube amp.  That alone may have
taken the sense of precision down a notch, now that I think of it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back