Looking to upgrade from AKG K702
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #76 of 123
Okay so I've been spending more time with the DT880's and been putting Pink, white, brown and all different noise through it when I'm not listening to try and loosen up the drivers (Probably got about 40 hours on them all up).  What I'm finding is they are very quiet exactly where the fundamental of male vocals are, it's like there isn't much body to male vocals and it's only the upper harmonics, it's hard to explain, also the treble with vocals is a little 'rough'.  Although with electronica they sound excellent, I've been reading that they need up to 400 hours of burn-in to sound their best, do the mids fill out at all throughout this process?

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #77 of 123
If you don't like them now, you won't like them. In my ears they do everything fairly well, but they don't do anything really good. So I did not find them worth keeping as soon as i upgraded. Think about that too.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #78 of 123
If you don't like them now, you won't like them. In my ears they do everything fairly well, but they don't do anything really good. So I did not find them worth keeping as soon as i upgraded. Think about that too.
. That's how I'm feeling, I'm considering selling all my mid-fi stuff and getting a real upgrade, is the he-500 a lot better?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #79 of 123
Was for me... Depends on what you want ofc. But you would need a better amp if you were to get the HE-500. What do you want from a new headphone if you want one?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #81 of 123
Quote:
Was for me... Depends on what you want ofc. But you would need a better amp if you were to get the HE-500. What do you want from a new headphone if you want one?

Ideally it would be the DT880 with AKG mids and then I would be happy! haha, just a very neutral, accurate and detailed headphone really, with nothing missing from the spectrum

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #83 of 123
Quote:
Ideally it would be the DT880 with AKG mids and then I would be happy! haha, just a very neutral, accurate and detailed headphone really, with nothing missing from the spectrum

I think the HE-5LE would be more for you. But on the other hand, I started out the same way you did, craving neutrality and accuracy (which led me to buy dt880 and etymotic hf2). Today I want my sound to be natural and balanced, not necessarily neutral. To me, HE-500 is just that...

I can write some lines on the sound if you want, but there are many reviews out there.... Since I have heard/owned both k702 and dt880 I could make a short comparison from memory.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #84 of 123
Samwell7, I've been following your quest, and am still hanging around to hear about your 
experience with new pads for the K 702s.  The AKG K 702 is probably the 
headphone that I most frequently use.  I do boost the bass sometimes and
it's nice to have that option.  But generally I just listen straight.  

I'm trying to keep a strong hold on my wallet so that if I ever upgrade it will
be to something like the HD 800.  Must... not.... falter.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #85 of 123
Go for some vintage Stax :)
Just bought some lambda signatures.. So excited to get home :D

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #86 of 123
try building a T50rp.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #87 of 123
Quote:
try building a T50rp.

Mod or build?

Now I am home with my Stax equipment. The sound is.. interesting to say the least 
size]

So far I am not 100% fond of the tonality of vocals, but any and everything else is quite impressive.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #88 of 123
Mod I guess. I've been using my modded T50rp way more than my Q701 lately.  
Quote:
Mod or build?

Now I am home with my Stax equipment. The sound is.. interesting to say the least 
size]

So far I am not 100% fond of the tonality of vocals, but any and everything else is quite impressive.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #89 of 123
Quote:
I think the HE-5LE would be more for you. But on the other hand, I started out the same way you did, craving neutrality and accuracy (which led me to buy dt880 and etymotic hf2). Today I want my sound to be natural and balanced, not necessarily neutral. To me, HE-500 is just that...

I can write some lines on the sound if you want, but there are many reviews out there.... Since I have heard/owned both k702 and dt880 I could make a short comparison from memory.

Hrmm you raise some good points! I think the HE-5LE might be a bit expensive, I'm gonna try have a listen to some HE-500's and see if they're what I'm after,
how do they sound compared to the K702? doesn't have to be a big comparison a small one is fine :)

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #90 of 123
Quote:
Samwell7, I've been following your quest, and am still hanging around to hear about your 
experience with new pads for the K 702s.  The AKG K 702 is probably the 
headphone that I most frequently use.  I do boost the bass sometimes and
it's nice to have that option.  But generally I just listen straight.  

I'm trying to keep a strong hold on my wallet so that if I ever upgrade it will
be to something like the HD 800.  Must... not.... falter.

Hey!

Yeah i ended up turning the bass back down, I prefer it straight, the AKG mids really are amazing, I didn't realise how good they were until I spent a lot more time with other headphones.

About the pads.... because I had to use a freight forwarding company to get my pads from the US to AUS there's some delays, apparently my package was delivered on the 5/29 but the freight forwarding company doesn't have any record of it and even though shipping says it's been delivered they're trying to tell me it has been 'returned to sender'.  It's a bit frustrating with the time differences, but hopefully it gets sorted this week and I actually see them sometime soon.  Do you live in the US? if you do PM me haha

I think the K702's are still my favourite headphone, I don't know if my hearing is tired or something but I've left the DT880's running nearly all day today and yesterday with music to loosen them up more but they are REALLY bright today and giving me a bit of a headache :/ I'm not sure what's happening.

I really want the K702 pads though, and yes the HD800 is always there, just whispering to me "you can afford me... come on, don't worry about rent...." haha  just remember, diminishing returns.
they really don't sound 5 times as good so I dunno if they're worth 5 times as much ahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back