Looking to upgrade from AKG K702
May 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #31 of 123
How much will the pads set u back? Last I heard was 80 dollars

I'm not sure yet I'm still waiting to hear back from either AKG's Australian distributor or Frank Rodriguez
EDIT: LOL the Australian distributor replied with a price of $205 per pair Haha nearly the price of a new set, hopefully Frank doesn't have a problem posting them to Aus or somebody does a proxy post for me

May 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 123
Quote:
Hrmm, I'll look into them, I've heard they're fatiguing to listen to though, or is that a myth?

The DT-880s are fatiguing if you don't find an amp that can tame the highs given they're so bright.

May 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #33 of 123
I disagree. To my ears, the W3000ANVs and even JH13s are brighter than the DT 880s.

In fact I think it's the lack of bass fullness on the 701 series that makes even them seem brighter than the DT 880s to me. It's possible that this might be related to my HRTFs in the treble range, but I don't see the brightness allegations and I run neutral equipment.

May 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #34 of 123
That sounds like a joke to me!

May 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #35 of 123
Quote:
I disagree. To my ears, the W3000ANVs and even JH13s are brighter than the DT 880s.

In fact I think it's the lack of bass fullness on the 701 series that makes even them seem brighter than the DT 880s to me. It's possible that this might be related to my HRTFs in the treble range, but I don't see the brightness allegations and I run neutral equipment.

I think that might be right, as I played with some EQ settings to turn the bass up on the 702's I noticed their treble didn't seem as bright and shimmery as usual, I think it just the lack of low end content that makes them seem so bright.
Even with that being said they aren't really bright to me, I don't find them sibilant or painful to listen to, I will try the 880's when I can

May 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #36 of 123
Quote:
That sounds like a joke to me!

yeah it's ridiculous! I'm really hoping Frank comes through with the goods or else I don't know what I'll do

May 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #37 of 123
In some way I have never liked AKG's way of marketing or what to call it. 

May 20, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #38 of 123
Quote:
The DT-880s are fatiguing if you don't find an amp that can tame the highs given they're so bright.

Agree! the 880 have a nasty treble peak and the depth is not balanced to the L-to-R, and they do sound a bit like quality beatbox with a smile shape EQ. I'm not sure if any DAC, or amp will fix those problems.

May 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #39 of 123
Quote:

Agree! the 880 have a nasty treble peak and the depth is not balanced to the L-to-R, and they do sound a bit like quality beatbox with a smile shape EQ. I'm not sure if any DAC, or amp will fix those problems.

What the ---!"

They don't sound like quality beatboxes to these ears. I came from the LCD-2 and HE-500 to the DT880 and I'm more than happy. As for the treble peak, it requires nothing more complicated than a treble tone control. I'm sure you've heard of them.

May 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #40 of 123
Quote:

What the ---!"

They don't sound like quality beatboxes to these ears. I came from the LCD-2 and HE-500 to the DT880 and I'm more than happy. As for the treble peak, it requires nothing more complicated than a treble tone control. I'm sure you've heard of them.

The HE-500,HD-800, and the DT-880 have more treble compare to the K-702 on a pro solid state system. With the T1 Beyer do fix the sound stage depth issue of the DT880, But treble peak is still there. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595522/akg-k702-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-in-the-studio

Treble tone control?!?!  Professional equipment do not need "treble tone control".

May 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #42 of 123
Quote:

Agree! the 880 have a nasty treble peak and the depth is not balanced to the L-to-R

rolleyes.gif

The DT 880s actually have some sense of center projection, unlike the AKGs which practically ONLY go left/right. The 70X having a huge void in the center of the sound field is a critical problem for my listening.

Differences of opinion, but I think the main weakness of the DT 880 relative to the 70X is the softer attack; the main weakness of the 70X to the 880 is the severe bass roll-off and overly extreme stereo projection.

As for your professional agenda, SoundOnSound regards the 880 higher than the 701 for studio purposes. Of course, they also regard the 650 higher than the 701 so I'm not 100% sure what's going on there..

May 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #43 of 123
Quote:
rolleyes.gif

The DT 880s actually have some sense of center projection, unlike the AKGs which practically ONLY go left/right. The 70X having a huge void in the center of the sound field is a critical problem for my listening.

Differences of opinion, but I think the main weakness of the DT 880 relative to the 70X is the softer attack; the main weakness of the 70X to the 880 is the severe bass roll-off and overly extreme stereo projection.

As for your professional agenda, SoundOnSound regards the 880 higher than the 701 for studio purposes. Of course, they also regard the 650 higher than the 701 so I'm not 100% sure what's going on there..

Sorry man, but in my experience it's exactly the other way around, the DT-880 ONLY go left/right...and the K70X "void" it's actually your prove for the better sound stage depth that I've mention before. 

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #44 of 123
Quote:
Sorry man, but in my experience it's exactly the other way around, the DT-880 ONLY go left/right...and the K70X "void" it's actually your prove for the better sound stage depth that I've mention before. 

That doesn't make any sense. I think what you mean to suggest is that the DT 880s don't have front/rear projection (if that's what you mean by depth), which seems to be a complaint I've read before but am not hearing myself. If you listen to a binaural recording the front/rear projection of the DT 880 is fine. The 701s have a clear left/right bias even in binaural recordings, with no semblance of central presence.

It's not a "better" sound stage depth when everything sounds further away than it should be and either to the left or right all the time, even in intimate recordings. The Q701s sound pinched-out. This is great for picking apart things but pretty unnatural for listening.

May 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #45 of 123
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. I think what you mean to suggest is that the DT 880s don't have front/rear projection (if that's what you mean by depth), which seems to be a complaint I've read before but am not hearing myself. If you listen to a binaural recording the front/rear projection of the DT 880 is fine. The 701s have a clear left/right bias even in binaural recordings, with no semblance of central presence.

It's not a "better" sound stage depth when everything sounds further away than it should be and either to the left or right all the time, even in intimate recordings. The Q701s sound pinched-out. This is great for picking apart things but pretty unnatural for listening.

I have noticed the same thing with binaural recordings.... I thought it was just me not liking binaural. This describes exactly how I hear binaural with mine though. I gotta go try some binaural with my T50rp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back