Looking to upgrade for $300 or less
Nov 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

treyedean

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Sony MDR-7506 and the Grado SR80i.  I love both of these headphones but I am now starting to see the limitations of them both.  I love the fact that they both have a flat response and provide an accurate reproduction of what the artist intended the music to sound like.

Of the two the Grado are definitely my favorite.  I love how clear they make everything sound.  But I am finding that both the Grado and the Sony are a bit harsh in the highs.  Sometimes they hurt my ears.

I am looking to upgrade to something with a closed back design so I don't bother my wife, that offers a flat response, sounds clearer than both the Grado and the Sony and has about as wide a sound stage as you can get with a closed headphone.

At first I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro in the 80 Ohm flavor but I have heard that these are great if you are looking for some bass headphones.  I am not really a bass head, I am all about accurate, clear reproduction.  I also looked at the Denon D2000 but it seems since they have been discontinued, their prices have skyrocketed.  This had lead me to look at the Sony MDR-1R.  The Sony MDR-1R is currently my top choice but this is only based on marketing material and limited reviews here and elsewhere so I have to take it with a grain of salt.

Do any of these stand out as a good upgrade or is there another headphone that I am not considering that may be a batter fit.

Some more info:

Source is a Macbook Pro and an iPhone.  Currently no headphone amp.

I listen to mostly classic rock - Cars, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc...
I also listen to Trance, down tempo and ambient electronic music.

This comprises about 90% of my tastes in music.

I will mostly be listening at home so portability is not so important.  I will likely keep the Grado and am more looking to upgrade the Sony MDR-7506 unless there is something that will blow them both away.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

AKG K550
AKG K271 MKII
AKG K272 HD
Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer T70P (used)
Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica A900
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
Mr Speakers Mad Dog (T50RP)

Also, anything that is slightly warm or too mid-bassy for you, simply equalize it down a touch. Easy way to get the perfect set for you.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back