1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to upgrade: Beyer T-90 or Hifiman HE-500

1. xzez
    Hi all, headfi has always been a great source of info for me, but this is my first post.

I'm presently using a pair of Beyer DT 990 Pro and AKG K550 (driven by an Aune T1 DAC/AMP) and am thinking of upgrading. My candidates at the moment are the Beyer T-90 and Hifiman HE-500. I had previously been on a pair of HD555s, quite enjoyed them, and always thought I'd be a fan of a neutral sound signature, but have been enjoying the u-shaped response of the DT990 Pros (though it may be a little excessive).

Usage will be with a wide variety of audio. Virtually all genres of music, gaming, and some movies. Sound stage is pretty important to me; I like to be able to feel immersed in the orchestra and pick out instruments when listening to classical, and placement is obviously important for gaming. I find I dig cans with a little more bass and treble, but that's not a major factor.

I've found plenty of info on the HE-500, and that they seem to be a quite favorable set of cans, but haven't found quite as much on the T-90. One of my go-tos has been the battle of the flagships thread as the descriptions are clear to understand, and all through the same set of ears, but alas, no review of the T-90.

So does anyone have experience with both? or any other recommendations?

2. SgtMattBaker
    From my experience I found that T-90 need good gear to sound really great, otherwise HE-500 sound good even on cheap amp. Compare in good gear for my ears HE-500 still sound better in every way. Soundstage is comparable in both so for me it's easy - HE-500

3. patngu
    I'm currently using a T90, having previously upgraded from a DT990. Driven by a good amp (especially a tube amp), the T90 has one of the most transparent and resolving sound around, only bettered by the HD800.  I'm driving my T90 with a Bottlehead Crack, the sound is just glorious. The soundstage is really huge.

I've also heard the HE-500 at a shop when I was deciding which headphone to upgrade to. Its neutral, but does not have the excitement and dynamics of the T90. 

If possible, I suggest you listen to both headphones yourself before deciding.  Both are great choice.

4. punit
    I have a T90 too. As the previous 2 posts have mentioned you need high quality Tube amp's (preferably OTL's) & a neutral detailed source for the T90 to really show what they are capable of. I am using the WA6 (with Sophia tube) which is a Output Transformer Coupled amp (I chose it instead of an OTL as I also have low impedance HP's). I also tried it with Schiit Lyr too but didn't sound as great as with the Woo. With the wrong amp they will sound bright & sibilant.

I went to the Beyer dealer to buy the DT990 Pro's , did a demo, liked them & was walking to the counter to pay the bill when I saw the T90's. Out of curiosity asked how much they cost & then decided to demo them just for kicks as no way I was gonna spend so much on a HP. Rest is history....[​IMG]

I haven't heard the HE 500's but they are on my future HP list as I have always wanted to try planar's.

5. xzez
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I missed my chance on the HE-500 deal I had been eyeing, but I have kind of altered my decision anyway. I think for now I'm going to try and grab a pair of HE-400 during black friday, and then only after I have tried out the HE-500, T-90, and perhaps others, make my decision that way. I think I'd have to shy away from the T-90 at this point as I don't have the budget to acquire an amp that would pair well with it.

6. Jobbing
    You don't need an expensive amp to drive the T90's. My father owns one (bought a prisitine one for $ 300 last month) and he uses a portable JDS Labs C421 and Cowon D2+, it sounds really good and engaging. I own a HE500, T1 and several Stax's but I was really blown away by the T90 sound quality