Looking to Possibly upgrade from Grado SR-80s
Jun 30, 2009 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Bradrj1029

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking to upgrade from my Grado SR-80's that I have had for about 9 months now. I love the sound of them. But I know there is something better. What headphones could I get for around $400 USD? It doesn't matter whether they are open or closed. I just want something that sounds good
biggrin.gif
Thanks
beyersmile.png

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 15
If you like the grado sound.. with that budget you should get yourself a pair of Grado HF-2's

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 15
Agree with nullstring. If you love the Grado sound, it's worth upgrading and skipping over the rest of the Prestige series and land yourself the HF-2 (if you don't mind the wait), or the beautiful sound of the Reference RS2. Take it from me, it's somewhat frustrating buying the next model up only to sell it for small loss to get the next one up the chain. I have owned all the Prestige models including the "i" and I'm all smiles with the RS2 that I picked up for under $300.

You should be OK unamped with either can, but it's worth getting one in the long run. Also, all the Grado models above the SR80 have 1/4 connector.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 15
Hey lucky if the question was directed towards me, then here's my response:

"This is quite possible, but my wallet, and my significant other are the gate keepers against the upgrade bug. As of now, I have convinced my ears that the RS2 are 'good enough'. Keeping the significant other happy and financial prudence, in this strict order will subdue my feeling. As a testament to this, I did place an order for the HF-2 on May 10 and without regret, canceled my order."

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 15
Just because you like the Grado sound doesn't mean that you wouldn't like the Senn/AKG/ATH/Ultrasone/Beyer sound even more. Perhaps you can start by telling us what type of music you listen to, and what kind of improvement you are seeking from the SR80?

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 15
The answer is what 400 other Head-Fiers are anxiously awaiting - the Grade HF-2
happy_face1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you like the Grado sound doesn't mean that you wouldn't like the Senn/AKG/ATH/Ultrasone/Beyer sound even more. Perhaps you can start by telling us what type of music you listen to, and what kind of improvement you are seeking from the SR80?

Here's an intelligent post.

Also, what sound card or other equipment are you plugging your headphones into?

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 15
In fact, no matter how good the HF-2 is I'll recommend you NOT to get them, cause without a doubt they will be overhyped to ridiculous levels in head-fi and you wouldn't be able to find any objective opinions on them.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

In fact, no matter how good the HF-2 is I'll recommend you NOT to get them, cause without a doubt they will be overhyped to ridiculous levels in head-fi and you wouldn't be able to find any objective opinions on them.

They are out for only limited time right? I don't have the money right now. I using this thread for future reference once I get a job.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Huh...can we not say that about every new headphone release (ie HD 800, Edition 9 etc). And are not most opinions pretty much subjective anyways.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh...can we not say that about every new headphone release (ie HD 800, Edition 9 etc). And are not most opinions pretty much subjective anyways.

They are, but few on HF understand the difference between subjective opinions (e.g., the sonic difference between the RS-1 and SR60 is insignificant) and objective facts (e.g., the RS-1 costs 11 times as much as the SR60). The result is an endless parade of opinions trumpeted as facts (e.g., it is impossible to prefer the SR60 to the RS-1) and folks who get Very Angry when those opinions are correctly identified as opinions, and not facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back