looking to get new earbuds (canal)
Mar 17, 2006 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

handeyman

New Head-Fier
any suggestions? im looking to get it in the $100 price range. So far these have cought my eye Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 and the Etymotic ER-6 Isolator.

are these good? which is better?

any other good ones?

I listen to mostly rock and podcasts. I will plug them into my iaudio x5, computer, laptop, cell phone, pocket pc, pretty much everything but mainly my iaudio x5.
I had the sony ex51, they fit perfectly, however I dont like the behind the neck design, the sound is only ok and the fitting peice falls off constantly.
I also have koss pluggs and I must say those feel and sound terrible

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 7
You've picked 2 good choices for an IEM. I can't comment on the Super-Fi but I've owned the Ety ER-6 for over a year and they still amaze me with there accuracy and detail. If you enjoy detail and are not looking for head banging bass they will serve you well.

Take some time to do some searches, as there are many posts out there on both.

PS: Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet.....
etysmile.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet!

The Super Fi's are considered pretty minor... many people prefer the Sennheiser CX300's over them.

I'd choose the Ety's because of their triflange tips and their reputation of detail. But these are not basshead phones.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by handeyman
any suggestions? im looking to get it in the $100 price range. So far these have cought my eye Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 and the Etymotic ER-6 Isolator.

are these good? which is better?

any other good ones?

I listen to mostly rock and podcasts. I will plug them into my iaudio x5, computer, laptop, cell phone, pocket pc, pretty much everything but mainly my iaudio x5.
I had the sony ex51, they fit perfectly, however I dont like the behind the neck design, the sound is only ok and the fitting peice falls off constantly.
I also have koss pluggs and I must say those feel and sound terrible

They're both good. I don't think one is better. I picked the er-6i for its punchier low end. However, these are not as bassy as the ex51...you might find them thin-sounding at first. Eventually, as you get used to them, you'll realize that the ex51 is rather muddy.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

thanks for you help guys,

I dont really like the Sennheiser CX300 because they are not gold plates, or is that not a big issue?

So it seems I will most likely be going with Etymotic's.

I don't think it's really an issue... the PX100's don't have the gold plated jack and no one complains about that.

But it's all your choice. Good luck!

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

thanks for you help guys,

I dont really like the Sennheiser CX300 because they are not gold plates, or is that not a big issue?

So it seems I will most likely be going with Etymotic's.

Gold plating is not an issue. Equinox and Cardas cables do not have gold plated contacts. You could try the Creative EP630. They have gold plate and Y cable. As far as plating is concerned, silver has the lowest contact resistance. Gold has to be plated over a nickel underplate and both gold and nickel have higher resistances than silver. I believe that tin-lead is between silver and gold-nickel. The contact resistance for all of them is so low that it is insignificant. We checked contact resistance at work for some high power electronics. Silver plated copper had a contact resistance of about 0.1 milliohm and nickel was 1 milliohm. With milliamp currents it makes no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back