Looking to get a new tv. 32inches or larger is preferrable. Budget of $500can. 1080p
Oct 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Does anyone know any good deals or brands. 32 inches is preferable but will go up to 40 inches. Want it to be 1080p.

Currently looking at the following brands
toshiba
samsung
sony
lg
panasonic

I want the tv to last many years and i plan to use it as both a tv and a computer monitor.

Help is greatly appreciated but i would prefer it to be from either best buy or futureshop.

Thanks.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 17
Last December, I picked up a Panasonic TC-L42U25 for about $550, no tax and free shipping. It's a 42" 120Hz 1080p LCD (not LED) and have been using it regularly since.

$50 and 2" more than what you want, but I couldn't be happier with it. I had been on the fence over ordering a 55" set, but this one is terrific. Looks great, zero issues and I'm running it with a pair of good speakers and tubes. Couldn't be happier. :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Last December, I picked up a Panasonic TC-L42U25 for about $550, no tax and free shipping. It's a 42" 120Hz 1080p LCD (not LED) and have been using it regularly since.
$50 and 2" more than what you want, but I couldn't be happier with it. I had been on the fence over ordering a 55" set, but this one is terrific. Looks great, zero issues and I'm running it with a pair of good speakers and tubes. Couldn't be happier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for that. My only issue is i will be changing addresses and moving into my own place by november 1st. I need to pick up the tv from a local dealer. I am mostly interested in which tvs have decent sound and are reliable. Thanks for the response though it is greatly appreciated.

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 17
I don't know about Canada, but mine showed up within about 4-5 days of ordering.

Though don't expect great sound from any TV. The Panasonic makes some noise, but it's nothing compared to good speakers.

The cheapest good speakers I've heard are the PSB Alpha B1 bookshelves. I hooked a pair to my parents' TV and it was a big upgrade.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 17
If a "manufacturer refurb" is not a problem for you I'd suggest you take a look at www.Ecost.com. For example they're selling an LG 42" 1080p for $390.00. I've purchased quite a few things from them, Including a 32" Panasonic TV ($311.00), Its always been a good experience.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 17
Watch out for Walmart sales, they have had a ton of TV sales from the less known brands, a 40 inch 1080 tv for 299, aint that crazy? 

I got one for our guest room, fine quality, amazing price.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Watch out for Walmart sales, they have had a ton of TV sales from the less known brands, a 40 inch 1080 tv for 299, aint that crazy? 

I got one for our guest room, fine quality, amazing price.

There is also the question of image quality though and life span. If it´s for the long term I would rather pay for quality and have something that look better in the meantime.

LCD technology is quite mature by now so it doesn´t hurt hunting last year models. What kind of PC usage will you use them for? Most LCD TVs have a lot of input lag which
does affect genres like racing, fps and pinball to give a few examples. Guitar hero and such generally has settings to compensate.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
There is also the question of image quality though and life span. If it´s for the long term I would rather pay for quality and have something that look better in the meantime.

LCD technology is quite mature by now so it doesn´t hurt hunting last year models. What kind of PC usage will you use them for? Most LCD TVs have a lot of input lag which
does affect genres like racing, fps and pinball to give a few examples. Guitar hero and such generally has settings to compensate.

Watching downloaded movies, Playing computer games like battlefield, fallout, elder scrolls, and browsing the web.

edit: What do you think of this?

http://www.walmart.ca/canada-estore/catalog/productdetailpagecontainer.jsp?trail=&skuId=143652&ancestorID=&searchString=&moduleName=&startSearch=&fromSearchBox=&addFacet=3006%3A20049#

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 17
Never ever heard of the brand.

Are you going to play for example BF 3 competively I would really look up if possible if you can find people that checked the input lag. Somewhere around 20-30 is quite acceptable I feel but I doubt any professional CS player would want to live with that. My Sony TV has 55-65 and it´s way to much. Pinball particularly is very hard due to the delayed response and it´s easilly noticable on mouse movements. Had it for more then 5 years and it still annoys me. Use my PC monitor with awful visuals just to get rid of that problem even though I only run single player :)

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Never ever heard of the brand.

Are you going to play for example BF 3 competively I would really look up if possible if you can find people that checked the input lag. Somewhere around 20-30 is quite acceptable I feel but I doubt any professional CS player would want to live with that. My Sony TV has 55-65 and it´s way to much. Pinball particularly is very hard due to the delayed response and it´s easilly noticable on mouse movements. Had it for more then 5 years and it still annoys me. Use my PC monitor with awful visuals just to get rid of that problem even though I only run single player :)

I know practically nothing about tvs so what are you talking about?

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Oct 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Wait for them to go on sale, theres also SEIKI and 2 other less know brands at Walmart that usually go on sale for an extra 20-30% off.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 17
I mean you have a whole month to return it if you don't like it, worth a try.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 17
I lowered my standards and bought this because it doubles as both a tv and a monitor.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-t27a300-27-full-hd-led-backlit-tv-monitor-11358369-pdt.html

I sure hope it has good input lag.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I lowered my standards and bought this because it doubles as both a tv and a monitor.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-t27a300-27-full-hd-led-backlit-tv-monitor-11358369-pdt.html

I sure hope it has good input lag.

Any thoughts on this tv?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back