Looking to get a new pair of headphones, what should I get?
Apr 28, 2015 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cangle

100+ Head-Fier
I’m looking to upgrade my current setup by purchasing some new headphones with a maximum budget of around $2000. Currently I’m using a Schiit Bifrost Uber and a Schiit Lyr (version 1) with the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs v3.2. I purchased the Schiit amp and DAC with the hopes of using them for a while and not needing to upgrade either of them as I moved to a better pair of headphones.

I’m looking at the following headphones to upgrade to:
HE-560, Alpha Prime, Ether, HD 800, LCD-X, and LCD-3.

I don’t really want to wait for the end of June release date of the Ether so I don’t think that that will be a good option for me. Also, I don’t really want to spend the extra cash to get a suitable amp for the HD 800 so that’s probably also not a good headphone to choose.

So that leaves me with the HE-560, Alpha Prime, LCD-X, and LCD-3 as possible options. I’m tempted to go with one of the Audeze cans since it would be nice to just get an end game sort of headphone and not have to upgrade for a long time. Also, I’m leaning towards an open headphone as I do not own one of those at the moment. I’m willing to purchase an amp with my new headphone purchase but I really do not want to exceed my budget.

I’d really appreciate any opinions and advice on which headphone to go with from people who own one of the ones that I’m considering. As for my musical tastes I mainly listen to Jazz, Rock, Classical, and EDM.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 6
bump

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 6
I haven't heard the Alpha Prime so I can't speak to that... However, I have owned the other three so I am pretty familiar with them.

I am not a huge fan of the HE-560. I find it lacks body and sounds somewhat dry, especially compared to the HE-500's. The treble can be a bit harsh at times imo. However, it does have very good bass extension and an excellent soundstage. It is also more comfortable than the Audeze cans.

I love both the LCD-X and LCD-3. I think they are more similar than they are different, regardless of what you might read in reviews, etc. I actually found the X darker sounding than the 3. The LCD-X I owned had very thick, lush mids. The bass impact was incredible, almost visceral at times. Bass extension not quite as good as the 560. Spectacular imaging and depth. Easy to drive. Heavy but comfortable. 

I currently own the LCD-3. Not quite as dark as the X. Also very lush mids, but not quite as thick. Bass impact is incredible as well, but not quite as good as the X. But the detail texture of the bass is spectacular. Even better imaging and depth, probably the best I have ever heard. Slightly more comfortable than the X. 

Honestly, I don't think you can wrong with either the X or the 3. Maybe try buying them both from a retailer with a good return policy and see which you prefer? B&H carries Audeze now and has a great return policy. Razordog has always been fantastic to deal with in my experience and they carry Audeze as well...

Hope that helps.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 6
I've listen to most of the Audeze line and would pick the Ether's over any of them sans LCD 3's ( Haven't heard them) in a heartbeat. I'm thinking of selling my Alpha Dogs for them or maybe a set of Primes (they are much better than my dogs). I haven't had a chance yet to listen to the Mad Dogs so I can't speak on the sound difference between the others . You are the judge . It is so hard to for another to tell you what to do. All of them are great headphones it is (from my lack of experience ) so hard to tell someone buy these don't buy those. I can only give you my impressions of the ones Iv'ed heard ( very little) . The Ether's to this point are the best I have heard with out a doubt. If my wife wouldn't kill me they would be on order now. The other cans I heard at a recent meet that I really enjoyed was a pair of Grado GS-1000i"s (I believe that's what they were) they were so light and had a great airy sound that was just awesome. From what I have learned so far it has a lot to do with the music you listen to and the source and amp you have (I want a Woo Audio WA 5 it was just sublime). I wish I had the money to get better gear but you got what you got. I just can't say enough how much I liked the Ether's. That is just my two cent's someone else will say they are the worst things they ever heard (I doubt it).
Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back