Looking to drop big bucks on Over-Ears + Portable amp. need professional recommendations
May 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MensWearhouse

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm Austin.. My HD 700's were stolen along with my Quincy Jones Q701's last summer, and I'm looking to use my entire summer earnings with 2 jobs to make about $2,500 to spend on over-ear Headphones, Cables, and a portable amp. Something to know about me is that I am a upcoming crooner in Texas, so these headphones will also be used in recording studio settings, leakage can be a problem, but if you can prove to me an open-backed headphone is so much better than a competing (i.e. Audeze LCD XC vs LCD 3) closed-back then I will say screw it and buy the Open-Backed for casual listening, and settle for a cheaper closed back headphone for my studio recording. I thank you all for your time to even read this, and your consideration, the money made this summer will be going completely to this rig and y'all's recommendation is what I'm depending on.

Conditions and things to know:
-Headphones must be under $2,000
-Amp must be portable, no bigger than the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC brick..
-Amp must be less than or equal to $800
-I have been offered XC's for $1,550, and the C.L. 720 for $650. (Both Brand new)
-Weight doesn't matter to me, I've played extensive years of baseball(helmets), and I was the wrestling captain these past four years in high school, so I've had my share of head gear.. (Wrestling in Texas funny? yes..)

Headphones That I have seriously Considered in order of seriousness(Did I say serious?):
1- Audeze LCD-XC
2- Sennheiser HD 800
3- Audeze LCD 3

Amps that I have considered so far:
1- Cypher Labs 720 Amp/DAC

Music I listen to(Not All):
-Frank Sinatra, albums include: "A Man and his music" , "Nice 'n Easy" , "Nothing but the best(Remastered)" , "Sinatra 80th:All the Best" , "Sinatra sings his greatest hits" , and "Sinatra: Best of the Best"

-Foo Fighters, albums include: "Foo Fighters: Greatest Hits" , and "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace"

-Luciano Pavarotti, albums include: "The Best" ... Namely - Nessun Dorma!

-Deftones, Various albums.. "Diamond Eyes" , "White Pony" , "Deftones"

-Audioslave

-Beach Boys

-Beastie Boys

-Coldplay

-Jimi Hendrix

-Nirvana

-Stone Temple Pilots

-Queen

-RHCP

-Soundgarden

Looking for a very Neutral Presentation
-All recommendations are great, also is that a good deal for the XC, and CL720 that I was offered?
-Also, In your honest opinion what of the 3 headphones I listed do you think is the best for listening to the rat pack(Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, etc..)

Not just looking at portable amps anymore! Please add your recommendations for any amps under $1,500!

May 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 6
Have you considered IEM's? There are several neutral (reference) IEM's popular with performers.

I have never considered wearing my open air headphones (HD650 and HD800) out in public.  Not that I would mind the looks, but open headphones don't sound as good with a lot of ambient noise (train, bus, airplane, crowd). I am sure it also would bother someone next to me in a packed situation.  I also feel better with the isolation provided when traveling by air.

I have loved IEM's outside of my listening room or office. I currently use JH13s straight from my iPad for music/movies when travelling.  They actually sound good without an amp, although an amp can be used to changed the sound characteristics.

If you got the Ultimate Ear Reference IEMs, you would have a lot of your budget to spend on portable amps, dacs, cords etc.

I am sorry to not be answering your questions, but I thought I would put my opinion out there for your consideration.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 6
IEM's are a great recommendation, I have given much thought to them, however I prefer over ear headphones in a recording studio setting. I will be buying rather pricey IEM's after these for my live performances, because I have a sort of mediocre iem performance set as of now. Right now from close friends I have decided to go from a portable amp to a desktop amp and the budget of course rised.. I have heard the LCD-XC paired with the Oppo HA-1 sounds like a dream compared to its lcd brothers. Thoughts on xc and ha-1 pairing? may not be many since the oppo has sort of just came out.. But I will out those IEM's to the list for next purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

Back