Looking to buy some eggos(d66) but not sure, please help.
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

orca94

New Head-Fier
So I'm interested in getting the eggos (they look fantastic from what I've been reading), however I've heard some complaints about the bass on the cans. Is it really as bad as some people claim? Also how's the noise isolation and comfort on them?

I was also looking at some (dare I say) triports. A friend of mine had them and I appreciated the comfort and isolation. Also despite what I've read on these forums they seemed very clear sounding to me. I haven't had much experience with headphones over 40 dollars, so I'm not sure if that's because they're the first "high end" set I've tried out or what. Excuse my n00bness.

So all in all paying attention to sound isolation, comfort, and sound quality, which pair of cans wins out? Is it really a landslide win by the eggos?

Will I find the eggos to have a comporable (or better) clarity than the triports? Are they similar in comfort and sound isolation?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 8
Can you still get eggos these days? Apparently my friend has been looking around Asia and he hasn't found any. I looked over at bluetin.com and it has been taken off the list there.

It has served me great for this past few years. I still use it on the road as it's comfy and fits my ear. A mod will partially solve the bass problem, as it will hold the sound leak though there isn't much to begin with.

It's pretty tight, though I appreciate Grado's brightness more, I chose eggos because of their portability.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Audio Cubes sell both the D22's and D66's.

I can never honestly see why people complain about the bass on the Eggos - it's very accurate and not bloated, nice and tight. Heck, the bass on the MDR-E888's is fine. I suppose it's not good for so-called "bassheads."

You'll be *very* happy with the D66's, one of the best portable cans on the market, IMHO.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 8
i "upgraded" from the d66 eggo ($90) to the beyer dt231 ($70) after i broke my eggos. the d66 has a crisp, detailed sound with good bass, which is overpowered slightly by a very smooth mid-treble. nice soundstaging too.

the dt231 is overall a better, fuller sounding headphone, and for less. the dt231 is more akin to listening to speakers then the eggos are--they exend deeper and higher, and have that BIG sound that is so hard to find in portables.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I love my d66s. I got them a couple months ago, the bass does seem a tad light, but your ears get use to it really well and the sound is so clear and nice for the price and size of the phones. The design is really really cool and I bought these used and have heard they last for years. I think you'd enjoy them especially if you thought the triports were clear. The bass is better then the triports and for $50 less. Trust me, they are worth it. Look around and see if you can find a used pair, I got mine for $55 on here and they work perfectly.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 8
I have a pair of D66's and they have remained as my main set of on the go cans. They are well built and comfy, they are also collaspseable making them more compact for storing. As it has been mentioned in the previous posts the Eggos insn't a bass heavy can (not much bass extension), so if you're looking for a set of can that will give you deep bass extension or rattle your ears you're better off looking elsewhere. The D66's has a tight bass, and just enough of it for a set of cans of that size, it also has a nice detailed sound for it's size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back