Looking to buy new stuff, need recommendations! Budget: $250
Oct 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Meiju

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I have signed up on this forum today to ask for a recommendation on new cans! 

So here's what I had/have:
I currently have Shure EC2n earphones, because my Sennheiser HD202's left ear cup crapped out on me about a month ago - I sent it out to Sennheiser for a repair quote, but that's already a month ago and haven't received any reply yet, so I am kind of giving up on that. I am very happy with both products, especially the HD202. The HD202 stayed at home and served as my "studio" headphones (I know, closed-back don't go too well in Studio, but I had a budget then, and still do), and the EC2n is mainly for traveling or anything outside the house. However, I'm afraid that the EC2n might crap out on me soon too, because the wire is being a bit dodgy lately. 

I've had experience with Audio Technica before, but it was a low-end one with flimsy wires, so it doesn't really count 
regular_smile .gif

So I've been on a hunt for new headphones, and I recently got some extra pocket money to spend (I have $350, but I need to pay back my mum for something), therefore I now have $250, and am looking for a new pair.

Here are some facts about me and what I'm intending to use the headphones for:
- I listen to heavy metal/hardcore/deathcore about 90% of the time.
- I listen to trance, psytrance, DnB, deep house, and dubstep about 8% of the time.
- As for the other 2%, I use it for recording instruments (I do vocals, bass, and guitar).

I've heard good things about AKG K701, but sadly it's a bit out of my price range. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD595, any input on that?

Also, my laptop does not have a sound card 
redface.gif

Cheers!

P.S. My apologies if I'm too picky, but I really do want to spend my money wisely for some new cans :]

- Meiju

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 15
while grados do this genre well they slack in bass which i think is needed to make deathcore shine, and i only really listen to deathcore with my headphones.

i am also on the same hunt as you.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 15
also you'll prob wanna stay away from senn because they are extremely laid back and not ideal for in your face genres.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 15
Id say the DT440. They can be found for well under your budget but they outperform the HD595 and are basically on the same level as the AD900. They will suit your genre preferences more than the AD900 as well due to their more prominent bass response.  If you decide to go closed, look no further than the DT250-80

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the responses! Though I can't test them out, I would not buy stuff from Grado simply because of the looks, lol! I'm looking for more recommendations please!!

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the responses! Though I can't test them out, I would not buy stuff from Grado simply because of the looks, lol! I'm looking for more recommendations please!!

Blasphemy! Grados are the best looking cans ever :p j/k 

Given your situation, I think Audio Technicas (M-50, AD/A700) or Beyer DT 770s might be good options for you. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks! I am now looking at the AD700 and the DT770! I'm still leaning towards the DT770 though, but I'd love to try them both!

Also, would I need an amp to experience either one's full potential?

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Thanks! I am now looking at the AD700 and the DT770! I'm still leaning towards the DT770 though, but I'd love to try them both!

Also, would I need an amp to experience either one's full potential?

Audio Technicas do not really require an amp but as for DT770s, it depends on what impedance you're getting. They have a 32 ohm version for portable/computer listening but even though they are low impedance, I think they'll benefit from an amp. Just don't get something with a 600 ohm if you don't have/not getting an amp. If I were you, I would buy both from amazon and return the one you liked the least. Amazon has a great 30 day return policy. Also AD700s are open and DT770 are closed! So there's going to be a difference on that score. The closed version of AD700 is A700. I owned both A700 and DT770 and liked the A700 much more... In terms of comfort, Beyers are the best by far. I just had big headaches because of those 3D wing things on audio technicas. So that's one more reason why you might want to consider ATH M-50s. They are outstanding phones for that price! 

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 15
Hooray! I recently got some extra cash again, and I found an AKG K701 for cheap that I could buy on the internet!!! Now, the K701's impedance is rated at 62 ohms, is that low enough to just plug it in the computer???

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Hooray! I recently got some extra cash again, and I found an AKG K701 for cheap that I could buy on the internet!!! Now, the K701's impedance is rated at 62 ohms, is that low enough to just plug it in the computer???

No. They will get loud enough but you'd be wasting their potential.  You'd be limiting them so much that something like the DT440/AD900/DT250 would sound superior.  The K701 needs a good amp despite being 62ohms.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 15
While the K701's impedance level is relatively low, they are very current hungry headphones.  If you plug them straight into a computer, they will still sound good, but nowhere near how good they could sound with an amp.  

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Hm pity :/ Jay, you were speaking of a "good" amp. Could you perhaps name a few that would make the K701 work to its full potential?

Burson HA-160, Graham Slee Solo II, Meier Concerto, etc

for semi budget amp, try Matrix M-Stage, even though they're not really expensive, they have really good current to feed K701, and people here looks like love to pairing them with K701.

oh ya, btw, I like DT440 more than DT250/80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back