Looking to buy a Power Conditioner
Jul 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Enthusia

500+ Head-Fier
Recently I been having some interference and I am now looking into buying a power conditioner. So far I have found some ridiculously priced ones mostly above 200 dollars. After a search on ebay, I came across a Furman M-8 Power Conditioner that is said to remove interference for around 55 dollars, not sure if this is a good deal or not, but I am about to jump on it if anybody doesn't have any objections.

NEW FURMAN M-8 Power Conditioner Rack Mountable M8 NIB! - eBay (item 220253298684 end time Jul-10-08 17:01:45 PDT)

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 7
I changed my mind and bought one of these Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Conditioners. Funny thing is I bought the last one.

202352763.jpg

PureAV 10-Outlet PureAV Home Theater Power Conditioner (AP11000fc-10)

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 7
The Belkin should do the trick. It's not the greatest, but will offer protection and some cleaner power. The Furman you were considering is ok. It's "entry level" power conditioning, but stuff like what I'm using, the PL-8 is really nice. All of the PL-8 series are the same in terms of protection and conditioning, but each model up offers more visual metering of power conditions, from a series of LEDs showing current voltage, to LED numbers, to monitoring of voltage and current. I found none of that was necessary, and went with the base model, which has no metering. Besides, there's always the possibility that the metering circuitry and LEDs can add noise, but I don't know if it matters at that point, if that stuff is prior to the conditioning filters, etc.

Oh, and the pull out lights on the PLs make great headphone hangers, lol.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the comment, just took a look at the PL-8 and its not in my price range, although it does offer some great functions. The Furman's seem to be geared toward the rack mounted design, do you have a rack?

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 7
While the specific Furman one you looked at is designed for rack mounting, the Furman line is pretty extensive and has a lot of models that don't have mounting brackets if that's something you don't want.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comment, just took a look at the PL-8 and its not in my price range, although it does offer some great functions. The Furman's seem to be geared toward the rack mounted design, do you have a rack?

Yeah, as penger says, it is rack mount, and no, I don't actually have it in a rack. I have it on the middle shelf of a three shelf unit, with a left over shelf from an Ikea unit, and my other components on top of that. Its a conditioner designed to go into a musician's road cabinet, with whatever other rack mount units (effects, amps, etc) plugged into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back