Looking to buy a new pair of headphones for under $130
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MikeTheGooner

New Head-Fier
I am currently using Superlux HD 668B which unfortunately have started breaking down.

I did a little bit of a research and headphones that kind of got my attention were :
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser HD 518
Sennheiser HD 439
Audio Tehcnica ATH-T500
HyperX Cloud
Logitech G430.

What I'm looking for. I'm not an audiophile, I like listening to music,rap, deephouse, indie rock, I like a decent base but then I play quite a lot of games (mostly CS:GO) where I belive "sound stage" is quite important as I need to hear foorsteps and pretty much everything that's happening quite clearly.Microphone is not an issue as I have a detachable Zalman for my Superlux anyways.

I don't have any external amplifiers, I'll be using them with my PC which has a creative sound blaster z sound card installed. I'm UK based so any good offers from Amazon US are off.

Hope you guys can help me.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 8
If you liked the 668b, maybe you'll like the philips shp9500. Super comfy and very natural sounding. It's like a budget hd600 to my ears.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the add-on internal sound card and it's drivers.
The Gemini HSR-1000 is the HyperX Cloud with out a mic and is around $45 on Amazon.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the advice, I decided to go to for the SHP9500. In the end I tried to decide between the Phillips, DT770 and HSR-1000 but after reading all the reviews and big thread on SHP9500 on this forum I think they're the best for me. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Don't want to create another thread so I'm going to post here. I received the SHP9500 and I don't really like them

I also found out that I can't have open headphones. They need to either be semi open or closed (my room door have terrible sound isolation and pretty much everyone can hear my music at medium volume.

My budget is still it the same so are the requirements. Can anyone please help ! :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 8
  Don't want to create another thread so I'm going to post here. I received the SHP9500 and I don't really like them

I also found out that I can't have open headphones. They need to either be semi open or closed (my room door have terrible sound isolation and pretty much everyone can hear my music at medium volume.

My budget is still it the same so are the requirements. Can anyone please help ! :frowning2:

Still think the Gemini HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80 is still the best buy for a closed headphone.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 8
The Beyer DT770 is a well built headphone with great sound and bass.

M Audio Q40 is another budget winner after you swap the stock pads (Shure 840 pads for $14) and cable (V Moda audio only cable for $20).  I've had mine for three years and though they don't get much use anymore with my other headphones they are still a great sound for the $. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back