Looking to buy a new pair of earphones; frustrated with my SE-530s
Jul 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dreamtheaterjunkie

New Head-Fier
Hi.  I'm looking to purchase a pair of high-end earphones for no less than $500.  For the past two years, I have had a pair of Shure SE-530s that have sounded amazing, but whose durability leave a lot to be desired.  The plastic things on the end of the earphones keep popping off, resulting in a lack of sound from the righr earphone, and I am currently on my third replacement pair from Shure.  It's getting frustrating, and my warranty is practically done.

I listen to virtually every kind of music, including classical, jazz, gamelan, rock, metal, rap, electronic, and indie and want something versatile as hell to bring out all of these genres.  I'd also like it to be available on EarphoneSolutions, and to be as durable as humanely possible.  Removable cables are an absolute must, and I want the best possible manufacturer's warranty so I don't have to worry about blowing lots of money because my earphones only lasted two years.

Also, do removable cables only mean the part that plugs into the jack is removable?  Or that all the cables, from the part that plugs into the jack and that plug into the earphone itself are removable?

Thanks so much!

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 9
Give me another few hours and I'll let you know which I prefer out of the SE535 and the Westone 4. I actually owned the SE530's before, and the SE535's are better in every area except comfort (they're still comfortable mind). But durability, build, cabling and audio quality are an upgrade in all ways. Audio wise, most notably you get a slightly less claustrophobic soundstage and more sparkly high's. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 9
If you don't mind having little isolation, the FX700 and EX1000 should be considered. I will be getting my FX700, so I can give my opinion of those when I receive them.

You could also look into the MDT. For me, they do everything right for the sound signature that I was looking for (smooth and warm, with good mids.) Coming from the SE-530, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the MDTs mids. The FX700 has slightly recessed mids, or so I've heard, so you can take that for what it is. 

I do believe the EX1000 doesn't do anything wrong, except being a bit "laid-back" if that sort of thing bothers you...

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 9
wait till you out of warranty and want a simple repair, shure falls off the face of the earth....im going through their service hell right now.

I have a small tear in the housing of the cable for my 530s, they work fine...music plays, cable isnt loose or anything...however, they dont repair anything, they replace with cost to you.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 9
I am out of warranty.  I called them, told them the problem, and they told me that because I had them repaired in the last year, I got a new one-year warranty.  So all I have to do is send them in with my previous warranty order number, and they'll send me a new pair of SE-535s.

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Shouldnt a replacement come with a warranty to? Maybe not as long as a new purchased product, but it should be covered for a year or something?

Youre lucky....my cable housing is split and they want me to spend $240 to get a new pair....$240 to replace the whole IEM over a CABLE HOUSING.....wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back