Looking to buy a good beginer headphone Amp/DAC
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Birdman74

Head-Fier
Sorry about so many questions recently, I am a noob and just getting into the Head Fi scene, staying here and reading around for the past few days have convinced and made me reconsider a few things. Like getting my first headphone amp/dac.
o2smile.gif

Need some suggestions for a nice one thats not too expensive, maybe a hidden gem you guys know off that doesn't cost a fortune, Don't want to replace them anytime soon either and I am thinking to pair them with beyers dt880 ot takstar pro80 or hi 2050(undecided)

I have a old creative x fi audigy 24bit I think, I use klite codec pack and wmc to play most my stuff which is mostly movies and music like jazz, piano and sax, some ambient and other stuff. I am not a audiophile and I dont want to blow a lot of money, but would just like a good basic setup with a nice basic amp that looks good and goes well in my room, something within reach, and has a volume control knob on it.

(Although I plan on adding a small inline volume control pod to my headphone for convenience anyway when i am sitting 20 feet away)

So far the ones I liked are

- HA INFO U2

- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA (I like the style but thats all, because it seems pretty expensive)

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Sorry about so many questions recently, I am a noob and just getting into the Head Fi scene, staying here and reading around for the past few days have convinced and made me reconsider a few things. Like getting my first headphone amp/dac.
o2smile.gif

Need some suggestions for a nice one thats not too expensive, maybe a hidden gem you guys know off that doesn't cost a fortune, Don't want to replace them anytime soon either and I am thinking to pair them with beyers dt880 ot takstar pro80 or hi 2050(undecided)
I have a old creative x fi audigy 24bit I think, I use klite codec pack and wmc to play most my stuff which is mostly movies and music like jazz, piano and sax, some ambient and other stuff. I am not a audiophile and I dont want to blow a lot of money, but would just like a good basic setup with a nice basic amp that looks good and goes well in my room, something within reach, and has a volume control knob on it.
(Although I plan on adding a small inline volume control pod to my headphone for convenience anyway when i am sitting 20 feet away)
So far the ones I liked are
- HA INFO U2
- Musical Fidelity M1 HPA (I like the style but thats all, because it seems pretty expensive)

Genini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80).

Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) sound card
Asus Xonar DGX ($43,PCI-E) sound card
Sound Blaster Z ($110) sound card

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Genini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80).

Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) sound card
Asus Xonar DGX ($43,PCI-E) sound card
Sound Blaster Z ($110) sound card

Yea Most likely going for the Pro but not Gemini, The Gemini stuff from Amazon is not cheaper then the base Takstar Pro 80 off ebay. Besides the Gemini one although has a nice digital logo on its sides on the top of the head band it has a gay written gemini

But do I really need a sound card man? I mean I got the creative x fi audigy 24bit, don't you think thats enough? I was actually thinking to get an external amp after reading things but if I dont really need one with the Hi2050 or the Pro80 then I am a happy camper. (cuts down my costs anyway) :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Yea Most likely going for the Pro but not Gemini, The Gemini stuff from Amazon is not cheaper then the base Takstar Pro 80 off eBay. Besides the Gemini one although has a nice digital logo on its sides on the top of the head band it has a gay written Gemini

But do I really need a sound card man? I mean I got the creative x fi Audigy 24bit, don't you think that's enough? I was actually thinking to get an external amp after reading things but if I don't really need one with the Hi2050 or the Pro80 then I am a happy camper. (cuts down my costs anyway)
smily_headphones1.gif

The three sound cards I listed come with built in headphone amplifiers.
Also those three sound cards will have a lower impedance :) then the Audigy.
The CL-SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) is going to have a better DAC then the Audigy.
(not sure how the DG(X)'s DAC compares to the Audigy)

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 7
I did hear asus xonar stuff being higher quality then recent creative cards, but I'll head over to ocn and do some more research on that..

thanks, I think I will save up money towards the sound card instead of a amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back