Looking to buy a CD/MP3 Player
Oct 8, 2002 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yoo

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new CD/MP3 player as I've never owned one
eek.gif
. I mostly listen to music on the computer and I occasionally use a family member's old Sony D-808k something CD player. That CD player has absolutely no skip-protection and I'm looking to buy one so that I can actually walk around while listening
rolleyes.gif
. Well, enough of my rambling. I've been looking at the iRiver SlimX and I really like it. Lots of features, good battery life, sound, fm radio, and a cool remote. It's at $140 on Amazon. Should I just go with this or are there other similarly priced players I should consider?

-yoo

p.s. I also want to jog while listening to music. Is that impossible with an CD/MP3 player?

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 8
If you want to jog with an MP3/CD player, your best bet would probably be the Sony dcj01 as it has the best antiskip protection in that market. Otherwise, a flash memory based player will suit jogging very well, but the amount of songs you can store is decreased. The SlimX is still good in terms of features though...

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 8
The CJ01 has IMHO better sound to the SlimX and AA battery usage as standard. The SlimX wins hands down on features, convenience and a more powerful headphone amp.

The CJ01 responds quite slowly to everything but has good skip protection and will take the stick remotes (if yours didn't ship with it - I know that US models apparently dont). It does not fast forward or rewind in MP3 playback - my main beef with this player, although usually not that annoying for me as I don't jump around in tracks.

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Be sure to check out the newer Sonys as well if you're considering the CJ101. I have not yet been able to do so myself, but I've got the impression that they're a little bit improved in terms of speed, file recognition, and such. Maybe someone else here can confirm. I've been thinking about one myself.

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for all the replies. I am heavily leaning on the slimx after reading/searching some consumer reviews and stuff. No one really mentioned how well the FM tuner functioned on the slimx. Anyone that has experienced the FM tuner, could you give it a rating from 1-10 and why you gave it the score?

-yoo

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by yoo
Anyone that has experienced the FM tuner, could you give it a rating from 1-10 and why you gave it the score?

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back