Looking: Sound Card
Aug 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

clickhere

New Head-Fier
I currently use onboard and AD700's.

I have 2 open slots, PCI and PCIe x1.

The PCI is right between two GPU's though so temps might not be win but I could always sell one if need be.

I'm looking to get a soundcard that would survive headphone upgrades in the "near" future.  Like a pair of Sennheiser 650's or something.

I don't want to get a soundcard that won't output the full qualities of the 650's if and when I do upgrade.

Price? $200

So far I've heard good things about the: 
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1
Auzentech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 

Thoughts on what I should be getting?

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi

I´m considering Asus Xonar Essence ST for me. (ST version is superior to STX)

"T[size=x-small][size=x-small]he New ST's main feature is the new pin header which allows the card to connect to the H6 DAC expansion card which can currently be seen bundled with the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe. [/size]
[size=x-small]With the addition of this pin header the new ST has more diverse repertoire of features and output audio options available to users. Between the STX and the upcoming ST, the Xonar sound machine will become much more diverse for headphones users and high end speakers users alike. Let's have a look and see what we have under the shielding."

[/size]
[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]
imageview.php
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

If you want someting more balanced in terms of quality/prince ratio go for Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/14601-auzentech-x-fi-forte-7-1-review.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzentech-xfi-forte-71-soundcard-review-test/
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/846/pg5/auzentech-x-fi-forte-and-asus-xonar-ds-sound-cards-testing-xonar-ds.html
http://techreport.com/articles.x/17256/1

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Oh oh, what about one of these?  Firestone Audio Fubar III Mk. 2 USB DAC - Headphone Amplifier

I have seen atleast the DAC only version listed on this site as the highest ranked DAC and this would atleast solve my issues of the spacing.

Though I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with it or thoughts especially with higher quality audio.

Or what about the NuForce Icon HDP?

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 8
I just want what ever equipment i need to power headphones with utmost quality.

I wanted an all computer system so I went with the ASUS Xonar STX and an upgraded power supply.  I also picked up some custom Double Helix Cables to rewire the HD650 with.  If you're just wanting a computer system, no extra boxes on the table, color me a happy camper.

My opinion, it all depends on how fat your wallet is, how much room you have for extra equipment boxes on the desk or bookshelf and how fiscally crazy you want to get.

L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Some say the Amp on the STX/ST is fine for the HD650's and other suggest using the card as a DAC and connecting up an external amplifier.
There are many new cards with excellent measurments and overall sound quality.  There seems to be a debate as to if the onboard amps on these cards are good enough for high end cans...  Do some experimenting with some gear and buddies if you can.  Try both options if you get the chance and use your ears to make the final decision.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Get an Essence ST for now, use the headphone out. Later get the HD650 or something similar, keep using the headphone out, then when you want to upgrade or have more money, get an external amp and use the card as DAC.

The point of the ST is its versatility. It's good enough to drive high end cans, while having the potential to be used as a DAC in future upgrades. The DAC on the card is excellent, while the headphone amp is not as good, but definitely is still better than your old onboard.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Get an Essence ST for now, use the headphone out. Later get the HD650 or something similar, keep using the headphone out, then when you want to upgrade or have more money, get an external amp and use the card as DAC.

The point of the ST is its versatility. It's good enough to drive high end cans, while having the potential to be used as a DAC in future upgrades. The DAC on the card is excellent, while the headphone amp is not as good, but definitely is still better than your old onboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back