Looking for your help!
Feb 24, 2007 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hongt76

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm new here and I need some help!

(If you don't want to hear my story then read the bottom part of the thread)

Well, over the few years, I have gone through some headsets as I used to game a lot. My first headset was a cheap $20 Logitech headset, which lasted about 2 months. Then my friend let me try his Plantronics audio .90s which back then, I thought were really comfortable, and they sounded great to me. Went to Fry's and bought myself one for $20. It was good for about 3-4 months, the left ear went out and the mic' was pratically gone as well. So... I bought another pair!(which lasted 2 months). This year, I started looking for a headset again, and I bought the Icemat Siberia's.

This time, I didn't enjoy these headset
mad.gif
. The minute I put them on, I thought it was going to snap! After a few hours of wearing them, I started having headaches. They were obviously too tight for my glasses and I. So I did some research, and I here I am. After many hours of research, I finally decided to return the Siberia's(just came back from the UPS store)

I am trying to decide between these headphones:

- HD555
- A500

- At one point, I considered the SR-60s and the HD280 as well(but they don't seem comfortable?)

I would say I usually listen to music on the computer, and play games a bit too. Got these factors going for me:

- $100ish price range
- Comfortable cans that won't give me headaches or hurt me w/ glasses on
- Durable(I don't want to have go buy another a year later!)
- Looking for a cheap amp to go with it

Amps:
-Boostaroo's first amp on the page
-Pa2v2 from eBay How much do they usually cost?

Does amps have to use batteries? Or can they be plugged in as well, maybe by USB or AC power? Would be nice if I can use them w/ my ipod as well.

What do you guys think? Also, it would be nice to know where the best place to buy 'em at, as Newegg only sells the HD555s. I'm sorry for the long post
redface.gif
, but I would really appreciate your help! Thanks
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hongt76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when did you purchase them? How's the quality of the amp as far as the price? He seems like a really nice guy based on his sites.

I bought my PA2v2 around the same time I joined here. The build quality is very good and Gary gives a transferable lifetime warranty. The amp for me has been a good ride. It introduced me to the world of portable amps. I don't believe it is the best sounding amp that you can manage to find for around $80, give or take. It has a warm, bassy sound with a less than favorable soundstage (compared to other more expensive amps that I own). Depending on the headphones used with it, it may pair well or it may fall short.

Gary is a very nice guy with impressive customer service. Do a search here for PA2v2 and you can read the many positive comments.

Good luck in your headphone & amp quest.

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 16
Please don't buy boostaroo. Piece of crap.

Buy some Grado MS-1. In your price range and very good headphones. If you need closed for portable, check into the AKG K81DJ or AT ES7.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 16
First, I would like to thank you guys for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I will try the pa2v2 from Gary(is it better to bid on ebay or buy directly from him?) About the 555s, I hear that people can hear your sounds when you wear them. Is it THAT open? I wouldn't mind some isolation, but if it's not that open then it's alright. Also, does anyone have any input on the A500s? They seem pretty good as well, and at a price of around $90.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

First, I would like to thank you guys for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I will try the pa2v2 from Gary(is it better to bid on ebay or buy directly from him?)

I purchased directly from Gary, he lives in Canada. I think the price was $60. You need to send him an email (go to that link).

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 16
It says your location is in San Jose. You should wander over to the head-fi International Headfest that is going to be in San Jose in April and get to listen to a bunch of great stuff. There is a big banner at the top of the page here.
biggrin.gif
rs1smile.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 16
haha yeah, I was thinking about going, but I'm a noob at this stuff(just started reading last night!) So I might feel like an outcast
blink.gif
? hmmm it looks like I will go with the HD555. Greatdane, you said the 555 doesn't require an amp? If you think I should invest in Gary's though, I would surely purchase one if it makes an significant difference
cool.gif
Also, how's the bass on the 555? As I listen to some hip-hop, but I do listen to alternative as well.

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 16
I have an a500 and am very happy with it. The build quality is decent and the sound is great for gaming. Music is great also, but most audiophiles would want something better. I, however, am not an audiophile. They are very comfortable except they get hot after long periods of time. Over time I have gotten used to this and it bothers me no more.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #12 of 16
man... after some more reading, I dunno... it's getting hard to choose! hahaha I'm very indecisive, or maybe it's because I don't want to make a mistake like the Icemat Siberias? I'm starting to think about getting the 595 since there are many great reviews about it(being a good overall headphone for the price). I think I will mos' def. buy it if it doesn't require an amp. Does anyone know its ohm? Would be nice if don't have to buy a new sound card(using mobo's internal Leadtek HD soundcard) or an amp.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 16
Older 595s are 120 Ohm and the newer ones are 50. I've never listened to either a 600 or a 650, but most will say that the 595 is a lot brighter and has a more forward presentation than either of the bigger brothers. Probably the brightest in the whole senn lineup.
wink.gif

Edit: Incidently, I found my 595 (50 Ohm version) brand new on ebay for like $125 + shipping. Very worth it
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

haha yeah, I was thinking about going, but I'm a noob at this stuff(just started reading last night!) So I might feel like an outcast
blink.gif
?

As far as society is concerned, we're all outcasts here...Welcome to the club and go to that meet!

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

blink.gif
? hmmm it looks like I will go with the HD555. Greatdane, you said the 555 doesn't require an amp? If you think I should invest in Gary's though, I would surely purchase one if it makes an significant difference
cool.gif
Also, how's the bass on the 555? As I listen to some hip-hop, but I do listen to alternative as well.

It was NtD Gr3nade who recommended the 595. As Hermitt mentions, they are 50 Ohm it seems so I would consider trying them without the additional amp first.

Reading as much as you can about the different options in your price range is best before commiting. Average out the user reviews/comments and choose one that fits your taste in sound.

Going to the Headfest would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back