Looking for wireless IEM's, fit's an issue
Mar 18, 2020 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mors

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, looking for a bit of help if possible. I'm looking to get some wireless IEM's, coming from the 1964 U8's and the Sony XM2's as my dailies.

Since the begging of time I've always always had fit issues, with any tips I've ever had, never ever been able to get a good seal even with custom sleeves. It's been a shame as I've heard some amazing sounds out of the IEM's I've owned, IF, I've twisted and held the IEM right into my ear canal, as soon as I've let go, all the good stuff has gone :frowning2: been the same with every IEM I've owned, every set of tips.

So, based on that, I'm looking for the best wireless option, with the best fit, and best audio. Other stuff like battery life, noise cancellation, extra features etc are not so import, just fit/seal and audio quality. What am I looking at?

I've tried reading the monster 1300+page thread on it, but it's carnage :)

I've been looking at ones like the Sony WF, Senn momentum, liberty 2 pro, Galaxy buds+, M&D MW07, Cambridge Audio Melomania. But I'm still none the wiser. None of these are convincing me they'll have a great seal. I thought the Melomania looked like they were going to be a my best bet, but then I watched a review and looked at the shape of them, and thought no way am I going to get a seal off them.

Some of them have these 'wing' things - they any help/good?

Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 8
What is the fit problem for you? Too small or large ear canals? Short depth?

I have smallish ears. I typically use 10.5-11.0mm dia ear tips.

The best fitting TWS I've had is the Tronsmart Spunky Beats. I could literally sleep on my side with them if I wanted. Battery life was lackluster for me (2.5-3hrs). Sound was decent.

A close second is the Mavin Air-XR's (just no side sleeping), which also sound better and last almost 2.5x as long. Plus the case is amazingly tiny.

I recently got the Liberty 2 Pro's, fit is ok but probably not for extended sessions for me. The smallest ear wings give me hotspots after an hour or so. I may adjust though, so ymmv.

I skipped the Sony wf-1000xm3 as I figured they'd probably fall out of my ears. The form factor is similar to the LP2, but lacking wings. That and no aptx.

The new senn mtw2 look a bit too large for me and may have the same fit problems as the melomania1's.

MW07+ and Nuarl N6 Pro's are still kind of on my radar. If I can adjust to the LP2 wings I may give them a go.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi Assassin, thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what the fit problem is, I think it my be the direction of my ear canal, I can't get an IEM to point down it and seal I think, I feel it more pointed at the ear wall maybe and sealing. If I twist an IEM to some sort of weird angle pointing out of my ear, then it sounds amazing, but as soon as I let go, it reverts back to the regular position/fit and all is lost. I think maybe I'm hoping that these wings could help hold it in a position and it might work.

I think I'll buy the L2P from amazon and give them a try, and if it doesn't work out, I'll return them. That's if I'm allowed out of the house to return because of Corona.

Btw, re the bluetooth adapter, no, U8 the same re fit unfortunately - Great IEMs but can't ever get the right fit off them unless I hold them at an angle then they're amazing.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi Assassin, thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what the fit problem is, I think it my be the direction of my ear canal, I can't get an IEM to point down it and seal I think, I feel it more pointed at the ear wall maybe and sealing. If I twist an IEM to some sort of weird angle pointing out of my ear, then it sounds amazing, but as soon as I let go, it reverts back to the regular position/fit and all is lost. I think maybe I'm hoping that these wings could help hold it in a position and it might work.

I think I'll buy the L2P from amazon and give them a try, and if it doesn't work out, I'll return them. That's if I'm allowed out of the house to return because of Corona.

Btw, re the bluetooth adapter, no, U8 the same re fit unfortunately - Great IEMs but can't ever get the right fit off them unless I hold them at an angle then they're amazing.

So if looking at the side of your head the IEM needs to point down a bit? The L2P points forwards and slightly up.

I would go with a smaller TWS like the Mavin Air-XR or recently popular Fiil T1X or Bomaker Sifi. I haven't heard the latter two personally.

The Air-XR has some oval tips that may seal well though.

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Finding out what type of sound signature would be your first best bet. The next is to figure out out of all the iems you've tried - which give you the "best" fit. For me, the custom-universal fits on wired iems all have been good to great fitwise but i have issue with straight nozzle designs. Any curved design is an ok fit to a good fit.

The liberty pro 2s are the "best" fitting TWS i have used, to date. This, isn't say very much, however. As i do get a sense they will fall out but havent. Running/jogging may be another issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back