Looking for Vibraphone music
Nov 9, 2002 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

N@Z

1000+ Head-Fier
Vibraphone sound so cool & soothing. I've only got one CD (Jazz at the Pawnshop). Can anyone recommend any others?

On a side note the first vibrapone music I've ever heard was used in a children's art/creative program (British) called Take Hart. The music was always played during the gallery section showing viewer's submissions. One of my favourite programs when I was a kid
biggrin.gif
and probably still is if it was still running. I have no idea what that tune is... but it is burned into my brain for eternity.

Nov 10, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 16
What genre are you looking for? Some other cool jazz vibra players I like are Lionel Hampton and Milt Jackson. My fav vibraphone record is probably Milt Jackson with the Oscar Peterson Trio - Very Tall. It's on Verve, soundquality is outstanding too!

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Another to look out for is Dave Samuels. His group is called the Caribbean Jazz Project.

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 16
Charlie Hunter and Pound for Pound. Charlie Hunter plays a customized instrument called a bassitar, which has bass strings and 5 guitar strings, so he plays bass and guitar simultaneously. In this incarnation of his band called Pound for Pound, he has a guy playing vibes. I have a couple of unreleased shows that sound incredible, along with a couple of studio albums that are ok. I think the album with Pound for Pound is called Candyman.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 16
On Prestige records. I think its on CD too, but I'm not sure. Jackson and Coltrane sounded great together.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 16
I'll second the Milt Jackson w/Oscar Peterson on "Very Tall". Great classic album with some really memorable tunes.

If you're looking for something a little more modern, check out a CD by Gary Burton (with Pat Metheny et al) called "Like Minds". I bought this one mostly because I'm a Metheny fan.

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
On Prestige records. I think its on CD too, but I'm not sure. Jackson and Coltrane sounded great together.

"Bags and Trane" was on Atlantic, not Prestige, and was released in 1959. "The Late Late Blues" is the best track on the album. Here's more from AllMusic.

Nov 11, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
"Bags and Trane" was on Atlantic, not Prestige, and was released in 1959. "The Late Late Blues" is the best track on the album. Here's more from AllMusic.

THanks for the catch; and I listened to it only a week ago! Duh.
tongue.gif
redface.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 16
I would get the Verve Very Tall first, NOT the 'Very Tall Band' (w/ 3 of the same personell) on Telarc.

Bags & Wes (K2 version) is a favorite.

I would also consider Memories of Thelonious Sphere Monk (live recording around 1982) by Milt jackson w/ Ray Brown & Monty Alexander on Pablo/OJC - just solid blues&bop & outstanding recording quality.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
THanks for the catch; and I listened to it only a week ago! Duh.
tongue.gif
redface.gif

Reminds me of how many times I've bought things that I already own. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back