Looking for ultra-high quality music(fidelity)
Mar 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tom10167

100+ Head-Fier
Rock or classical, I like a lot of acousticish stuff(Sufjan Stevens Califone etc.)

I want to put my E500s and myself to the test.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 21
sooner or later, someone will mention Jazz at the Pawnshop. personally, i think the music on it lies somewhere between mediocre and crappy, but the sound quality is something to write home about. i think it's for people who want to listen to their equipment.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 21
The album was released in '03, new high end recording equipment hasn't been made/used yet since then?

By the way nice quote, I hear it finds that slipper that's been at large under the chaise lounge for several weeks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 21
If you can stretch yourself to the blues, definitely check out the DCC release, "Blues Hoot" by Lightnin' Hopkins. Raw, intimate, and beautiful acoustic guitar and harmonica with genuinely passionate vocals to boot. It's a wonderful way to test the clarity, resolution, and soundstage of your system, and the music is absolutely wonderful!

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 21
jennifer warnes "the well". the sacd/cd version.
"morph the cat" - donald fagen
sufjan's 'avalanche'
air - "talkie walkie"
the new lucinda williams seems to be her audiophile outing

that's it off the top of my head excluding all jazz and classical.

get a turntable and discover "ultra high quality music(fidelity)"

what source are you using???

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 21
I'm not sure why people feel Morph The Cat has such great recording quality. IMO, it sound horrible compared to The Nightfly.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 21
The C-Nuts - Blitzkreig Bop and Other Jazz Mutations Possibly the only good album from Mapeshade's catalog, The C-Nuts do jazz renditions of Pop-rock staples from 1979-1985. The material may only be so-so for some younger listeners who aren't familiar, but the recording quality is crap your pants good.

The Sultans Of Swing is really a standout track here. (normally a Dire Straights song)

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 21
While this strays somewhat from your intended genres, I love Sufjan and Califone and I also love Pinback. You should check them out. Not acoustic, but sparsely instrumented and amazingly produced. Check out "penelope" or "non-photo blue" for a good place to get started.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #15 of 21
I really enjoy the sound quality in these and more importantly, the music.
Bjork - Post
Jeff Buckley - Grace

Stuff recorded by Steve Albini always sounds really good as well (from both an artistic and technical standpoint), such as-
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Nirvana - In Utero
Slint - Spiderland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back