Looking for the right set of monitors. Hopefully my budget is generous enough.
Nov 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kalixin

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I work at Tigerdirect and im starting to realize that a lot of the audio system I love don't really sound that good to my ears anymore. I used to love Logitech's sound products but since I got my audio technica athm50s I am starting to realize how bad most audio equipment really is. I am really tryign to replace these cheapo 30 dollar logitech x-140s. I used to think they were fantastic. They arent bad, especially for the money I paid. They certainly outperform 100 dollar bose garbage.

Anyways. Thats a touch of background. I am looking for some good monitor speakers. I would like them to have a similar sound signature to my audio technica ATHm50s. I love the highs and lows on my audio technicas. They are fantastic to a novice audiophiles ears, such as myself. I really would liek a bit of a strong guitar (mid) sound from them, but i knew what I was buyign and accepted them for their few flaws for 120 dollars.

This is what I am looking for:

A PAIR of monitor speakers for under 250. I want to stay away from the 300 range, and under 200 would be ideal, but I do not want to skimp out on my music.

I use FL studio and make music here and there. I love rock more than any genre. Rise against, sleeping with sirens, papa roach, three days grace, 10 years, skillet, the list goes on forever.

I want similar lows and highs to my audio technicas, but better mids. This will be hooked up to my gaming PC with ALC892 audio codec from my motherboard.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Really not sure how prices are in the US but I would look at Tannoy Reveal 501a monitors if they are within your budge.  The fostex PM0.5 monitors may also be within budget but I feel both make be lacking in low's due to driver size.  

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 4
I haven't tried them personally but you could try something from M-Audio like the BX5

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 4
  This is what I am looking for:
A PAIR of monitor speakers for under 250. I want to stay away from the 300 range, and under 200 would be ideal, but I do not want to skimp out on my music.
I use FL studio and make music here and there. I love rock more than any genre. Rise against, sleeping with sirens, papa roach, three days grace, 10 years, skillet, the list goes on forever.
I want similar lows and highs to my audio Technicas, but better mids. This will be hooked up to my gaming PC with ALC892 audio codec from my motherboard.

Monoprice 5" Studio Montors, $167, they seem to be rebranded M-Audio BX5s.
I bought them two weeks ago.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500

For improved audio quality, try to find a used Xonar DX or D1 sound card, CS4398 DAC chip :)
Even an Asus Xonar DG, $27 or DGX, $37 sound card, might improve audio quality.

Or if you can budget it, a Creative Labs Sound Blaster 4 (SB1500, retail box) sound card, $74.99 at Newegg.
Also has the CS4398 DAC chip :)
The SB-Z (SB1500) comes with separate headphone and line-out (speaker) jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back