looking for the right headphones
Aug 16, 2010 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

twigedd

New Head-Fier
hey guys im looking at spending between 300-400 dollars on a pair of headphones. i listen to alot of heavy bass music like dubstep and drum and bass, i need the best possible headphones available for my price range. im looking at using them for recording so i need them to be loud and CRISP. noise-cancel feature would be a bonus, but not entirely necessary. i would also like to buy an amp later on for the headphones, again somewhere between 300-400. any and all help is much appreciated.
THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 10
I've not tried a set of noise canceling headphones that I liked.  So, I can't recommend any.  If you want bass, but in a balanced context, you can look at the Beyerdynamic DT 770, 880, or 990s.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 10
If I may, look at Senn HD25 series....I´ve got, e.g. HD25 C-II (3m coiled cable, to right can) pretty much people in studios are using some of this great series. They are, lets say, like "studio standard".

Quote:
Sinista said:

HD25 = HD25SP which is the cheapest version - avoid
HD25 II = HDSP but with Velour Pads instead of Pleather
HD25-1 II = Same as HD25-1 but with Velour Pads instead of Pleather
HD25-13 II = HD25-1 II but with 600ohms instead of 70ohms for studio usage
HD25c II = Sames as HD25-1 II but with curly cable.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 10
If you're going to be using them for recording and producing, then you don't want loud and bass heavy. What you need is isolating and neutral. Otherwise, the music will only sound good coming out of your headphones and will be very lacking coming out of anything else.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
If you're going to be using them for recording and producing, then you don't want loud and bass heavy. What you need is isolating and neutral. Otherwise, the music will only sound good coming out of your headphones and will be very lacking coming out of anything else.

I agree,

If you want something for studio-recording and want to scale with future upgrades than akg k702 for sure. If you want something that sounds like club with drum, dubstep than hd 25 1, ultrasone dj1 pro or gmp 8.35d.

Basically, you need 2 'phones, thats headfi, sorry about your wallet.

One more thing , on DT770 literally everything will sound bass heavy

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

I agree,

If you want something for studio-recording and want to scale with future upgrades than akg k702 for sure. If you want something that sounds like club with drum, dubstep than hd 25 1, ultrasone dj1 pro or gmp 8.35d.

Basically, you need 2 'phones, thats headfi, sorry about your wallet.

One more thing , on DT770 literally everything will sound bass heavy

the gmp 8.35d's look and sound very appealing. im kind of stuck on weather to get those or the DT880's. anyone care to compare the 2, which one would be a better buy?

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
i need a pair that are very bass heavy and can pick up very subtle bass lines and sub-bass

Everything said in your first post suggest you don't know what you really need. Loud with noise cancelling isn't the domain of studio phones. Bass heavy will mean the bass is over exaggerated nad you won't pick out finer detail in bass lines - or anything else.

DT880 will need a decent amp to sound their best, and they're open backed. A closed neutral phone like the DT250 is more suited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back