Looking for the next headphone: ~$1,000
Oct 7, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 84
It seems you just missed the TakeT group buy, though that would have been a bit over budget. That leaves one grand option in my book: Stax 4040, $1118 from pricejapan. You could probably test some stax in Seattle at Experience Audio, though the in-store prices are bound to be far higher than from the online importers.

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #17 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure they are quite awesome but I'm not really looking for a "project" headphone.

I want whatever I buy next to be flat out better than my K701's
icon10.gif

Noticed you are looking for a W5000 and not a K1000
tongue.gif

true, but it's b/c i already have a k1000
wink.gif
and what did i get rid of to get the k1000? you guessed it - the k701.
k1000smile.gif

the problem with your request is that everyone has different ideas about how great the k701s are. some think that it's a steal at their price...and spending a thousand bucks wouldn't get you much more performance. others think the k701 are overrated and you could spend $300 to top it. moreover, others will have different ideas as to what they think sounds really good.

personally, i liked the k701. but the k1000 is that much better...

have you thought about an rs-1? i really like them...and paired with a good amp they really are quite better than the k701, IMO.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1000 is definately musical and the soundstage is vast.

X2. Plus more than enough detail at low volumes to satisfy one's analytical side, methinks. Note that loud listening is likely to become quickly fatiguing, but for me that's plus, as I can get all the detail and bass I could desire w/o being tempted to drive the volume to unsafe levels.

facelvega: Quote:

That leaves one grand option in my book: Stax 4040, $1118 from pricejapan. You could probably test some stax in Seattle at Experience Audio, though the in-store prices are bound to be far higher than from the online importers.

Perhaps true, but the service at Experience Audio cannot be beat. The proprietor would probably turn somersaults to make a customer happy. If I told you how far backwards that guy bent to let me pick up a pair of 325i's when he wasn't even in town due to a family emergency, you might not believe me. kelvinz, I didn't notice you live in Seattle, but you might consider making an appointment there and talking to the owner about what you're looking for.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 84
Quote:

I think in a nutshell I'm looking for a headphone that is more musical while retaining the sound stage and analytical qualities of the K701.

Quote:

I'm looking for something that is all across the board better than the AKG K701.

does something like this even exist - even for $2000.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does something like this even exist - even for $2000.

I sustain my recommendation. Soundstage size is probably going to be a bit smaller, but all other qualities are superior.

Another can to look at is W5000.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #21 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced HD-650. Even single-ended, my HD-650 blows everything away in musicality with a clear margin.

Blanket statement. D5000 is more musical than HD650 to my ears, as is RS-1, W5000, HE90, unreleased Westone 3, AKG K340, and I can keep on going with a fairly large list.

Oh, did I mention speakers =]

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #22 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sustain my recommendation. Soundstage size is probably going to be a bit smaller, but all other qualities are superior.

Another can to look at is W5000.

what are W5000's?

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica, a Japanese headphone manufacturer.

I have never heard of this company!

What kind of sound signature do Audio-Technica headphones have specifically the W5000's recommended in this thread?

How do they compare to other mainstream manufacturers high end headphones (HD650, K701, GS1000, Ultrasone Ed9)?

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you just missed the TakeT group buy, though that would have been a bit over budget. That leaves one grand option in my book: Stax 4040, $1118 from pricejapan. You could probably test some stax in Seattle at Experience Audio, though the in-store prices are bound to be far higher than from the online importers.

that is a really interesting suggestion I've never looked at Stax on account of their looks but I'll contact experince audio and take a listen to them. Does that price include the amp btw?

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #26 of 84
I have seen recently a pair of W2002's for sale here and $1000 for those would be well spent. W5000's can be found for sale here for less than $700 and I love mine.

Oct 8, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard of this company!

What kind of sound signature do Audio-Technica headphones have specifically the W5000's recommended in this thread?

How do they compare to other mainstream manufacturers high end headphones (HD650, K701, GS1000, Ultrasone Ed9)?

Audio Technica is well-recieved by a lot of head-fier. Its flagship, the L3000, is rated among the best headphones such as R10, HE90, etc.

There's a nice review on ATH-AD2000 by ASR. I have never heard W5000 personally, but many say they share the same sound signature as of those in the Audio-Technica line.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #28 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerGenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen recently a pair of W2002's for sale here and $1000 for those would be well spent. W5000's can be found for sale here for less than $700 and I love mine.

Posts that I've been scouring on Headfi suggest that the W5000 is a better headphone than the W2002 !

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #29 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by outmatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a nice review on ATH-AD2000 by ASR. I have never heard W5000 personally, but many say they share the same sound signature as of those in the Audio-Technica line.

Not really, w5000 only correlates with the other woodies, not the A or AD series.

Highly recommended can, and the rest of the budget can be used on an amp to use with it (nice powerful transportable will do, Lisa III comes to mind).

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

I'm looking for something that is all across the board better than the AKG K701.

What would you suggest for ~$1000

Open, closed it doesn't matter.

Not a lot in that price range that are better than K701s. Not sure what K1000s go for either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back