Looking for the most comfortable headphones, over ear
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

laur5730

New Head-Fier
I used to own a pair of AH-D1100 for some years, I enjoyed the sound but the build quality was horrible, and I never really got used to wearing them.
Had to take them off or re adjust them every 10 minutes or so.

I just bought a pair of DT-770 Pro today because I heard beyerdynamics made some of the most comfortable headphones out there. "8 hours of listening, no problem"
My experience so far is the same as Denon, only able to wear them for a couple of minutes, 30 minutes max before I can feel them squeezing me.
Even after I take them off, I can feel the pressure for some time. I plan on returning them, unless they take time to get soft and comfortable.

I also heard great stuff about ATH-M50, but I have no idea if they are better than the DT-770 (I was told not).

Comfortability is really important for me. I am not able to listen to music on speakers, so I have to resort to headphones (unfortunately).
I want a pair of headphones I can wear for at least 2 hours, preferably a lot more. Headphones I can use for music, talking, shows, videos etc.

Exclusively listen to electronic music, so something with a good bass is wanted. I produce some music of my own, so studio monitors would be preferred,
however not a requirement at all. I maybe spend 2% of my time "in the virtual studio", so a good music experience is far more important.

I realized I maybe have to go a little higher in price for comfortable headphones. I was thinking $300 - $400, I am happy to pay that if I will be able to wear them for a long time.

Hope I covered everything.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 20
Lol what version of the DT770s did you get?  Some of them are famous for their crazy clamping force if you got the drummers edition you'll really be hurting after a while.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 20
I have the DT770, and they really are extremely comfortable, in my opinion. Maybe they need a while stretched over a box to loosen up. You do have the Velour pads, right? The M50, are, quite a bit shallower in the ear cups, and many complain of their high clamping pressure causing much fatigue.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 20
I got the velour edition. The premium didn't come with velour, so he recommended the pro because they did. Else I would have to buy them separately.
How long are you able to have yours on? I can't do more than 30 minutes or so, I hope some stretching will help. What can I use for stretching, just the box it came with?

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 20
You can use any sort of box a bit larger than a head. If you leave the DT770 there for a while they'll stretch out. The headband is virtually indestructible, so you won't be worrying about any breaks mid-stretch. You keep trying them on every once in a while until the clamping force is better for your head. I also have a sensitive head, and can wear my Beyers for about an hour before I start really feeling them on my head, and my ears are sweaty.  I haven't really stretched mine out, though. Good luck!

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 20
I'd say DT880 is the most comfortable pair of cans you can get at that price. It's like wearing two pillows on both side of your head... And they weight less than 300g, which is good in terms of comfort 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 20
http://www.german-maestro.de/EN/gmp435swhite.htm

super comfortable because of the suspension system of the cups.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 20
Aren't the Mad Dog's really comfortable? Not sure about their bass is though.

Also, the Fidelio X1's are comfy w/ great bass, although they're open (not sure if that matters or not).

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 20
Mad Dogs are really comfortable! Everything touching your head is leather. Sometimes you'll get a little hot, but that's about it. They're also fairly neutral with decent bass (not super powerful, though). I'm afrakd I can't compare it to the 770,though.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 20
flan208, the HD 650 seems to be over my price budget with $100.

I have tried the DT 770 for a couple of days now, tried to stretch them a bit, but I am not sure I can get used to them. Probably just my head that's sensitive, but I can only listen to music with headphones at the moment.
Here is a visual drawing of where they are most uncomfortable, they are not too bad anywhere else

Which got me thinking that maybe oval shaped headphones would be better, if I somehow could avoid that area so it doesn't get any pressure.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 20
Comfort is very subjective and individual. What's comfortable fo me may not be for you. My old Senn HD420s are very comfy to me. But then, I'm fine with Grados and many people complain they are uncomfortable.
I think your best bet is to find a big store with lots of cans on display and try them all on to see what fits best for you.
It sounds like your main concern is the pressure. This may be because of the size and shape of your ears and how far they protrude. So you need cups/pads that are a good fit for YOUR ears. And if you've got a big ol' melon, the design and amount of spring to the headband will be a factor.
Think ya gotta try before you buy.
Kent

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 20
  Comfort is very subjective and individual. What's comfortable fo me may not be for you. My old Senn HD420s are very comfy to me. But then, I'm fine with Grados and many people complain they are uncomfortable.
I think your best bet is to find a big store with lots of cans on display and try them all on to see what fits best for you.
It sounds like your main concern is the pressure. This may be because of the size and shape of your ears and how far they protrude. So you need cups/pads that are a good fit for YOUR ears. And if you've got a big ol' melon, the design and amount of spring to the headband will be a factor.
Think ya gotta try before you buy.
Kent

Completely agree about the subjective nature of comfort and relative head size and shape.

Really import to try before you buy, spot the similarities between those you like and those you don't, make a shortlist, check for sound signature, also consider second hand if it helps extend the choice at your price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back