looking for the best solution for listening to movies/games through my PC when kids are in bed
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sunshinewelly

New Head-Fier
I have a dedicated TV room - 75 inch tv, pc, xbox , ps4 etc connected to a dennon atmos amp with a atmos speaker set up.

Thats great when the kids are aware but at night when everyone is sleeping i like to plug in a set of headphones and watch movies or play games etc

I have a set of senseniher Hd599 headphones

any suggestions for something to buy

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 15
You have everything you need no? Just plug in the HD599 into your audio output instead of the speakers and you good to go... Or am I missing anything obvious?

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a dedicated TV room - 75 inch tv, pc, xbox , ps4 etc connected to a dennon atmos amp with a atmos speaker set up.

Thats great when the kids are aware but at night when everyone is sleeping i like to plug in a set of headphones and watch movies or play games etc

I have a set of senseniher Hd599 headphones

Buy what? I mean you plug in the HD599 to the receiver. Done.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 15
I have a dedicated TV room - 75 inch tv, pc, xbox , ps4 etc connected to a Denon atmos amp with a atmos speaker set up.
That's great when the kids are aware but at night when everyone is sleeping i like to plug in a set of headphones and watch movies or play games etc I have a set of Sennheiser Hd599 headphones, any suggestions for something to buy
Can we assume your running HDMI from the PC/Xbox/PS4 to the Denon and running HDMI from the Denon to the TV?
What is the make and model of the Denon?
Budget for new headphones?

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 15
hi yes running everything into the Denon x2200w.
I am looking at a convincing 7.1 sound through headphones and plugging a set of phones into the Denon does not give that sound
The Denon headphone jack might be giving the lower Ohm (50-Ohm) HD559 a slightly bloated (louder, less detailed) bass (impedance issue)
Headphones in the 250-Ohm or 300-Ohm work best, for plugging headphones into an AV receiver (less bloated bass, if any).
But changing headphones will not improve headphone surround sound.
It appears the Denon X2200W does not come with any "true" headphone surround sound processing.

For playing Blu-ray/DVD movies from the PC, try the program Cyberlinks PowerDVD, it should do some headphone surround sound processing, before the audio is sent to the Denon.
For a gaming console (xBox/PS4) get an Astro Mix-amp
Gaming console > Mix-amp > headphones (HD559).

For PC FPS gaming, you might want to invest in a sound card (used Sound Blaster Z?).

A Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6 external sound card will work with both PCs and gaming consoles.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 15
I am looking at a convincing 7.1 sound through headphones and plugging a set of phones into the dennon does not give that sound

Does the receiver have Dolby Headphone?

If it does then enable it. That's about as good as it will get. You can spend more on headphones that image better but regardless of how much more you spend it won't be commensurate to the cost if judged purely on that because you can't magically override physics. Those are only two drivers smack outside your head.

And the most compact surround solution isn't headphones for quiet night time don't wake the kids up listening...they're wearable speakers.
Sennheiser+surrounder+not+an+unheard+of+concept+_64e3830378e7f04f38c1ad7c56113fd5.jpeg

Although if you do decide to get that, the upside is, you can take it apart and paint it red, and then imagine that your man cave is inside some volcano with snake motifs everywhere...COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 15
Those wearable speakers must be good otherwise who would wear THAT.

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Personally, if I ever have kid(s), I will not worry about life like experience during the night. I will just plug a simple headphone into the amplifier or DVD / Blu-ray player and listen to normal stereo sound. But If I ever would like 7.1 whatever sound. I will go for full speaker systems around the room. Then the whole family can enjoy it. But for now, I am very happy with my simple Blu-ray player, 24 inch monitor and headphone.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 15

The first thing to do when trying these HRTF binaural renderers is apply an inverse eq curve, or equalize your headphones to have a generally flat uncompensated response. This is going to remove the bright thin sound from the 2-5khz region.

I know you mentioned some latency issues with OOYH, what pc hardware are you running?

Theres also Waves NX for the pc and another option that uses head tracking called Redscape Audio.

When not using a pc you can use something like a creative g6 or astro mixamp, or one of the sony sets, hw700ds etc.

Personally I recommend a PC and OOYH, especially using planar/electrostats and a very capable dac/amp.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 15
i also have a set of AD900 audio technica but rather the sound of the HD599 -
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 will not sound their best plugged into the headphone jack of a A/V receiver.
As they are the AD900, they are some what older and not the newer AD900X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back