Looking for the best deal up to $50 - $60 ... (Headphones)
Jun 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

THAIS

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.

First, I want to say that I am happy that I am part of this exciting forum.
Second - my English in not perfect, so - excuse me if there is something not understandable.
Third, I hope that my topic is with correct title and that it's in the right place.

Now I'll say a few words about me - I am a student and now I'm in a summer break.
During the year I saved a few bucks, but the headphones are not the only thing which I am going to get with them, so I have a small budget, which I mentioned in the title.

I've made a long research and I found some good results and interesting ideas, but I would like to get more advice about this or other advice about another models.

I am listening to a lot of music genres, but now mostly to electronic (techno, house, ...). So, the powerful and punchy bass is one of the most important things for which I am looking. I am not a bass head or addicted to the powerful bass, so the bass is not the only requirement. I want a good sound quality as well. Well, I know that for the money that I am going to spend I am not going to find headphones with amazing sound quality, but I am looking for the best deal for the money.
I don't mind whether the headphones will be on my ear or over it, just not to be earphones. I don't need to be isolated, because mostly I'll use them in home, but it will be an advantage (because I have a good hearing and I don't want to hear another voices, but if not - this is not a problem). I guess something important - mostly I am going to use my headphones with my phone and with my PC.
I don't mind about any brands, but I prefer something different and those headphones to be enough comfortable for use (I am not going to use them for very long period of time ...). Something important - if anyone knows some other websites with good price or better, which I can trust (besides ebay and amazon), please - share them.

Alright, I am not going to spam you anymore, I'll put the links with the headphones that I found until now (I'll put them in a order of preference by now):

1) http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401889830&sr=8-2&keywords=superlux (Superlux HD 681)

2) http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399510692&sr=8-1&keywords=Pioneer+SE+A1000 (Pioneer SE-A1000)

3) http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-419-Headphones-Black/dp/B005N8W1MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399513257&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD+419 (Sennheiser HD 419)

4) http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401890369&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+ath-m30 (Audio-Technica ATH M30)

5) http://www.amazon.com/Fischer-Audio-FA-004-Complete-Accessory/dp/B00A14P1ZY/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1401890471&sr=1-4 (Fischer Audio 004)

I know the models Monoprice 108323, Koss PortaPro and a few other, but I don't like them at all.

Thank you very much for the support!

All the best,
                 Martin.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 29
The 681s are piercing, some people call them treble cannons. That is likely to prevent you from enjoying their bass. I haven't heard the rest, although I did used to own an HD439 and the bass wasn't as powerful as you will likely want. 

The only non-M50 Audio Technica I've heard is the ATH-M40fs which I think would actually have enough bass for you. It has well extended treble for its price range and the upper mids are recessed and extremely easy to listen to. You might like it, although I'm sure someone will come up with a better suggestion.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 29
Hi,

You should consider Takstar Pro 80 (or Gemini HSR-1000 - same headphones)

You can read about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread/2010

Best Luck!

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 29
  The 681s are piercing, some people call them treble cannons. That is likely to prevent you from enjoying their bass. I haven't heard the rest, although I did used to own an HD439 and the bass wasn't as powerful as you will likely want. 

The only non-M50 Audio Technica I've heard is the ATH-M40fs which I think would actually have enough bass for you. It has well extended treble for its price range and the upper mids are recessed and extremely easy to listen to. You might like it, although I'm sure someone will come up with a better suggestion.

Hello.
Hmm, I didn't know that about the 681s, thank you. I'll keep that advice in mind.
To be honest - I was planning to buy them, because their price in amazon now is very good, but after that you said I am going to think more.
Btw, in one forum (I forgot the name of the site) I read that they are the best headphones under $50 and one of the first comments was that they are very similar to AKG, particularly to AKG K 240, which is interesting (http://imgur.com/dnRgU2i).
And not to forget - I found one very good website, where there is very precise information about some popular models and the 681s where one of them - http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&page=22&document_srl=4251. I don't understand everything, but you can see that in the last scheme there are very good ratings about the bass in the 681s ...
About the ATH-M40fs - I'll make a research about them now, thank you very much for the response and for the good advice.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 29
  Hello.
Hmm, I didn't know that about the 681s, thank you. I'll keep that advice in mind.
To be honest - I was planning to buy them, because their price in amazon now is very good, but after that you said I am going to think more.
Btw, in one forum (I forgot the name of the site) I read that they are the best headphones under $50 and one of the first comments was that they are very similar to AKG, particularly to AKG K 240, which is interesting (http://imgur.com/dnRgU2i).
And not to forget - I found one very good website, where there is very precise information about some popular models and the 681s where one of them - http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&page=22&document_srl=4251. I don't understand everything, but you can see that in the last scheme there are very good ratings about the bass in the 681s ...
About the ATH-M40fs - I'll make a research about them now, thank you very much for the response and for the good advice.

I would take a shot here and say get the 681 EVO, because it's in the same price range but has much more tamed treble. That was actually an intentional design decision on part of Superlux with the EVO model in particular. It should be a solid choice.

I own the K240 Studio, and it's absolutely going to be worth it over the 681 series if you want to drop that cash. It is a truly professional headphone, but you will be very disappointed by the bass character as it is meant to be close to neutral, and that can is even a little bass light. The 681 EVO shouldn't have that issue but will likely not even come close to matching the treble extension and soundstage of a real AKG. What you read is that the design of the original 681 is essentially a copy of the K240's design. The sound signature is very different as far as I know.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 29
  I would take a shot here and say get the 681 EVO, because it's in the same price range but has much more tamed treble. That was actually an intentional design decision on part of Superlux with the EVO model in particular. It should be a solid choice.

I own the K240 Studio, and it's absolutely going to be worth it over the 681 series if you want to drop that cash. It is a truly professional headphone, but you will be very disappointed by the bass character as it is meant to be close to neutral, and that can is even a little bass light. The 681 EVO shouldn't have that issue but will likely not even come close to matching the treble extension and soundstage of a real AKG. What you read is that the design of the original 681 is essentially a copy of the K240's design. The sound signature is very different as far as I know.

Sorry for this stupid question, but are you sure that the 681s are the same, just with improved specifications? I am asking this, because they are slightly different ...
Thank you very much again!

Hi,

You should consider Takstar Pro 80 (or Gemini HSR-1000 - same headphones)

You can read about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread/2010

Best Luck!

Hello.
Thank you very much for your advice, buttt - I checked their price in amazon and they are over my current budget ($75). :frowning2:
By now - I can't spend over 50-60 bucks, but I'll keep in mind your advice for later.

And if you know some other models, which you think are worth for the money, please - post them.

Thank you in advance!

All the best,
                 Martin.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 29
  Sorry for asking me this, but are you sure that the 681s are the same, just with improved specifications?
And - thank you very much again!

Hello.
Thank you very much for your advice, but I checked their price in amazon and they are over my budget ($75). :frowning2:
At the moment I can't spend more over 50-60, but I'll keep in mind your advice for later.

Btw - I asked in the main comment - do you know some other reputable sites, besides amazon and ebay?
Thank you in advance!

All the best,
                 Martin.

Yeah should be the same in sound sig other than the treble being greatly tamed. Another more experienced forum member spoke very highly of them in another thread. They don't share exactly the same physical design as the original 681 but the overall size of the headphone should be similar.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 29
Post deleted by myself due to new informations.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 29
Hello. Thank you very much for your advice, buttt - I checked their price in amazon and they are over my current budget ($75). :frowning2:
By now - I can't spend over 50-60 bucks, but I'll keep in mind your advice for later.

And if you know some other models, which you think are worth for the money, please - post them.

Thank you in advance!

All the best,
                 Martin.

The day I wrote, someone was selling new HSR1000s at 54,99 dollars (on Amazon). Now the cheaper sells for 74,50, you are right...
You can ask here if someone knows where you can find them under 60 dollars:

I think you can get Takstar Hi-2050 for 60 dollars this days, and while I think it's an amazing headphone at its price point, I don't think this open back headphones will provide you the bass quantity that you are looking for (that's why I suggested the closed back version - Pro 80)

Same applies for Pioneer Se-A1000: Great headphones, open sounding, natural tone - a bit veiled, yes, but who cares; really enjoyable headphones, but not particularly good for bass centered music...

I'm not quite familiar with amazon, if I'm not wrong you can get new Takstar's HD5500 shipped from the UK at 45 dollars. Takstar HD5500s are often considered bass head headphones, so they tend to be the choice of many electronic and house music lovers. I haven't tried them, but I've read good things about them, they usually sell over 60-70 dollars, this is the first time I find them under 45.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K3Z9OFO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Best Luck!

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 29
Perhaps the JVC S500? I've listened to the S400 and found them to be fun with decent bass for an inexpensive headphone, and the 500 is still quite inexpensive too. There is also the Meelectronic Atlas which has the bonus of a detachable cable. I just took a quick listen to Lindsey Stirling with both, and they didn't disappoint with the bass. I don't have any real experience with lower end bass oriented headphones, but I don't see you being displeased. They're both designed, to me at least, to actually look good as well.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 29
Given your requirements, I can't see a better candidate than Audio-Technica ATH-D40fs.
Selling now for 49$ on Amazon, which is in stark contrast with their original price in the late 90's (in the vicinity of 150$).
A dated design but can still hold its' own even against it's newer siblings like M50.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 29
  Yeah should be the same in sound sig other than the treble being greatly tamed. Another more experienced forum member spoke very highly of them in another thread. They don't share exactly the same physical design as the original 681 but the overall size of the headphone should be similar.

Yes, you're right. I guess I'll buy them.
And one more time - thanks for the help and for the advice. :)

Post deleted by myself due to new informations.

?

The day I wrote, someone was selling new HSR1000s at 54,99 dollars (on Amazon). Now the cheaper sells for 74,50, you are right...
You can ask here if someone knows where you can find them under 60 dollars:

I think you can get Takstar Hi-2050 for 60 dollars this days, and while I think it's an amazing headphone at its price point, I don't think this open back headphones will provide you the bass quantity that you are looking for (that's why I suggested the closed back version - Pro 80)

Same applies for Pioneer Se-A1000: Great headphones, open sounding, natural tone - a bit veiled, yes, but who cares; really enjoyable headphones, but not particularly good for bass centered music...

I'm not quite familiar with amazon, if I'm not wrong you can get new Takstar's HD5500 shipped from the UK at 45 dollars. Takstar HD5500s are often considered bass head headphones, so they tend to be the choice of many electronic and house music lovers. I haven't tried them, but I've read good things about them, they usually sell over 60-70 dollars, this is the first time I find them under 45.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K3Z9OFO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Best Luck!

Hmmm, the Pioneer Se-A1000 was my second favorite in my list, but after you advice - I think I'll remove them.
Yep, you're right about the price of Takstar HD5500 - they are 45 dollars in Amazon now.
In Amazon there are no any customer reviews about the model, but I read some here and I agree with you that Takstar's HD5500 are very good one for it's value.
Compared to the Superlux's models, to the Sennheiser HD 419 and to the Audio-Technica models in this price range (mentioned in the thread), what do you think - the Takstar's are the better cans?
Thank you in advance. :)

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 29
  Yes, you're right. I guess I'll buy them.
And one more time - thanks for the help and for the advice. :)

Do post impressions, I'm curious to see what you think of them. Mention me again so I can read it. I almost want to add them to my ever-growing arsenal just to see for sure how good they are at the price point.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 29
  Do post impressions, I'm curious to see what you think of them. Mention me again so I can read it. I almost want to add them to my ever-growing arsenal just to see for sure how good they are at the price point.

I am not 100% that I'll buy them, because some other users recommend me other interesting models. I'll make a short research about them and later I'll decide which one to buy.
Yes, of course, when I have them (which I think is going happen by now), I'll tell you what I think about them ...
:)

Perhaps the JVC S500? I've listened to the S400 and found them to be fun with decent bass for an inexpensive headphone, and the 500 is still quite inexpensive too. There is also the Meelectronic Atlas which has the bonus of a detachable cable. I just took a quick listen to Lindsey Stirling with both, and they didn't disappoint with the bass. I don't have any real experience with lower end bass oriented headphones, but I don't see you being displeased. They're both designed, to me at least, to actually look good as well.

Hmm ... the Meelectronic's Atlas looks very attractive. Most of the reviews in Amazon are positive, but there are some negative, as well. Hm, you make me very confused now. Their price is good as well ... What do you think if I compare them to the headphones in my first comment?

Given your requirements, I can't see a better candidate than Audio-Technica ATH-D40fs.
Selling now for 49$ on Amazon, which is in stark contrast with their original price in the late 90's (in the vicinity of 150$).
A dated design but can still hold its' own even against it's newer siblings like M50.

There was another user which recommend them, as well.
To be honest - if they had different, better design, I was going to buy them immediately ...
I'll think about them, thank you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back