Looking for suggestions.
Nov 5, 2002 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

imported_maverick_12

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of hd580s, and I'm looking for a headphone amp for home usage, the plug i use now is a output on my sound card, I'm not too rich, so i'm looking at up to 300 dollars for the amp, any suggestions? I was looking at Headroom Little, is that a bad choice? Oh yeah, I use these for a lot of gaming, and a lot of mp3s, they are basically my only sound output on my computer.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 17
For $300, why not patronise some of the amp builders here?

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
For $300, why not patronise some of the amp builders here?

i'll second that 100%, that's enough for an awesome max-out meta42
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 17
I will give a vote for the old standard CMOY design. Since you are using low resolution sources, the META42 may dissapoint you since it is a highly revealing circuit. The CMOY design is much more forgiving and will help to smooth out the rough edges of your low rez sources. My only complaint with the CMOY and the Senn 580 is that it is loose in the bass. Ask an amp builder to make one optimized for your 580's and this problem should be reduced.

With the money you save on the CMOY, you can get a headphone cable upgrade and really free up the sound on the superb 580's.

Nov 5, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 17
What's the complete list these days?

Tangent META42s
JMT META42s, CMOYs, CHA47s
KurtW portable META42s
Antness Gilmores

Eric343 on hiatus
aos in development

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 17
Well, that should be "Tangent: META42s, not taking orders for a while due to overload"

Quote:

My backorder list is currently so long that I'm not accepting new orders at the moment. When the wait time you see above falls to a reasonable level, a link will appear here to get you to the quote request page.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Don't worry, that's not a bad thing. He's a great guy to deal with and builds awesome amps. I know cause I'm listening to one as I type this.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, JMT does this as a sideline so sometimes patience is required. He has a family and travels frequently so sometimes it takes him awhile to respond to emails. This is a rarity though, he is usually quite prompt. I went through alot of revisions of what I wanted but I had the amp in a little over a week after I ordered it but there were other circumstances involved there so it could be faster. It really depends on his schedule and backlog though. Trust us when we say you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back