Looking for something like DT880s Punchy Bass cousin. DT770? (any owners?)
Jan 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

danlee0502

New Head-Fier
Background Story
I Got my DT880/250ohm about a month ago and initially found it to trebly and weak in the bass. After burn-in I like it more and more everyday. I mainly use this to mix in the studio but also to listen to music at home more recently so I can burn them in more. 

I've been looking for a DAC/AMP and After my research the O2 seemed nice. However, just did some more research of the components in my Line6 POD HD desktop that sits beside my computer at home and realized the headphone out has plenty of power to drive a power hungry 600ohm headphone. for the DT880/250 it dials in just below half way to get good loud listening level. So my next question was the DAC, I wanted to get some quality DAC and it turns out it already uses Cirrus 4272 D/A A/D the same used in Apogee duet and Apogee ensemble which is known for their A/D D/A converters. The Bass in plenty good and honest for my mixing needs. GREAT SET OF CANS! 

Main Point
NOW I'm looking for a headphone with a bit more punch(Impact) in the lows and have more bass and is closed cans for producing Hip-hop / Electronica for clients (I mainly do rock and blues) Also would like to use them for tracking (hence closed can).

I'm thinking
DT770/250
ATH-M50
AKG K240 Monitors (600ohm) ?? (not sure if this fits the bill tho and I know its not close cans but I can get them really cheap $60 so I'm considering)  

the DT770 seems like the winner as of right now but I'm just wondering if it would me redundant to have DT880 and DT770. But if its like a DT880 with similar highs and mids with a Impactful bass and more lows then seems like its a winner. The DT880 have plenty bass that is honest but lacking that BOOM! have no Idea if I'm making any sense but hope u guys understand. 

Can you guys help me out here? thanks! 

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 14
The DT770 sounds like exactly what you want from what you're saying. I own a pair of DT880 Premiums at 600ohm, but I've listened to the DT770s many times. The DT880s have a tiny bit of a spike in the high range. This makes them sound a bit bright compared to many other in the DT series, but the 770 are basically a pair of cans that gets rid of that bright sounding high range and packs on the bass. That's how it sounded to me anyway, I don't own a pair and I couldn't tell you how burned in the ones I listened to were. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 14
  Background Story
I Got my DT880/250ohm about a month ago and initially found it to trebly and weak in the bass. After burn-in I like it more and more everyday. I mainly use this to mix in the studio but also to listen to music at home more recently so I can burn them in more. 
I've been looking for a DAC/AMP and After my research the O2 seemed nice. However, just did some more research of the components in my Line6 POD HD desktop that sits beside my computer at home and realized the headphone out has plenty of power to drive a power hungry 600ohm headphone. for the DT880/250 it dials in just below half way to get good loud listening level. So my next question was the DAC, I wanted to get some quality DAC and it turns out it already uses Cirrus 4272 D/A A/D the same used in Apogee duet and Apogee ensemble which is known for their A/D D/A converters. The Bass in plenty good and honest for my mixing needs. GREAT SET OF CANS! 
Main Point
NOW I'm looking for a headphone with a bit more punch(Impact) in the lows and have more bass and is closed cans for producing Hip-hop / Electronica for clients (I mainly do rock and blues) Also would like to use them for tracking (hence closed can).
I'm thinking
DT770/250
ATH-M50
AKG K240 Monitors (600ohm) ?? (not sure if this fits the bill tho and I know its not close cans but I can get them really cheap $60 so I'm considering)  

Do you by chance have access to a decent A/V receiver that you could plug the DT880s into, see if the receiver improves the audio quality of the DT880s, I think my DT880 Pro 250-Ohm are really nice sounding headphones, just suprised you do not like the sound quality.
I really doubt the DT770, ATH-M50s, AKG K240 600-Ohm are going to sound better then the DT880s.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 14
  Background Story

Main Point

I'm thinking
DT770/250
ATH-M50

the DT770 seems like the winner as of right now but I'm just wondering if it would me redundant to have DT880 and DT770. But if its like a DT880 with similar highs and mids with a Impactful bass and more lows then seems like its a winner. The DT880 have plenty bass that is honest but lacking that BOOM! have no Idea if I'm making any sense but hope u guys understand. 

Can you guys help me out here? thanks! 

No issue with redundancy because the DT880 and DT770 are so different from each other.
They sound like they could have been produced by two completely different companies.

The DT770/250 sure seems to be pretty much ideal for your purposes.
Much more so than the AKG K240, and somewhat more so
than the AHT-M50.

The DT770 does not have the clarity and purity of treble that the DT880's have.
They do, however, have significantly more bass. 
Significantly.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 14
Do you by chance have access to a decent A/V receiver that you could plug the DT880s into, see if the receiver improves the audio quality of the DT880s, I think my DT880 Pro 250-Ohm are really nice sounding headphones, just suprised you do not like the sound quality.
I really doubt the DT770, ATH-M50s, AKG K240 600-Ohm are going to sound better then the DT880s.

I think you might have miss read my thread. My dt880s are really nice sounding and does what i want it to do and sound amazing through my pod hd at home and through the apogee symphony in the studio.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 14
No issue with redundancy because the DT880 and DT770 are so different from each other.
They sound like they could have been produced by two completely different companies.

than the AHT-M50.

Significantly.

So it would complement the dt880 nicely for checking bass during mix and bass heavy songs right? Also the dt770 isnt terrible at the highs tho right? Just not as clear and pure as the dt880

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 14
Just be prepared for bass that drowns out all the mids, making them muddy - source: Got the dt770 80ohms for christmas and an amp, they are currently on there way back to amazon atm. They are also no where near fun either, the dt770 focus much more on the lower end of the bass not the fun punchy mid bass that you are looking for. I hear the 250omhs are supposed to not have as much bass, though they are supposed to have there own set of problems(shrieking).

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 14

than the AHT-M50.

Significantly.

The DT770 sounds like exactly what you want from what you're saying. I own a pair of DT880 Premiums at 600ohm, but I've listened to the DT770s many times. The DT880s have a tiny bit of a spike in the high range. This makes them sound a bit bright compared to many other in the DT series, but the 770 are basically a pair of cans that gets rid of that bright sounding high range and packs on the bass. That's how it sounded to me anyway, I don't own a pair and I couldn't tell you how burned in the ones I listened to were. 

Thanks for the input guys! 

Went out today and grabbed it at my local music store, good thing I called my store because I was going to go another hifi av store. Turned out to be cheaper. $150CAD + tax.  (I think it was a great deal) They had the 32ohm 250ohm and the 80ohm of the DT770M. I tried the 250ohm and 80ohm. Tho I didn't have my own reference songs I found the 80ohm was more over powering bass-y and muddy highs. The 250ohm seemed a lot better tho I felt it was umm congested? stuffy? (thought of the word at the bottom "compressed") Kinda like the feeling "I need to go out for a cigarette" lol. 

I got home and A/B ed the 770 / 880. To check if its what I need. The 880 as probably everyone already knows how nice they sound, open, and sound like heaven. The 770 in comparison the clarity of the highs were missing, the sibilance seemed more noticeable as well. To sums it up the 880 is more dynamic sounding and the 770 is more compressed sounding. However, the 770's lack in clarity doesn't sound bad at all. 

As for the Bass comparison. The 770 gives that extra pump and kick in the bass, while the 880 give better more honest sub LF-extention. I think its a good couple with my DT880. Now If i I can somehow magically fuse these together it would be as nice sounding as my Yamaha HS80 studio monitor speakers.  awesome idea but I'm no wizard. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 14
  Just be prepared for bass that drowns out all the mids, making them muddy - source: Got the dt770 80ohms for christmas and an amp, they are currently on there way back to amazon atm. They are also no where near fun either, the dt770 focus much more on the lower end of the bass not the fun punchy mid bass that you are looking for. I hear the 250omhs are supposed to not have as much bass, though they are supposed to have there own set of problems(shrieking).

Hey, 

I saw your post your post right after I bought it and was scared to death its not gonna sound good at home. I listen to them right when I got home, didn't turn it up loud because always go through my initial burn in session. After a 2 hour burn in I'm currently listening to them right now. They sound very good. Good for listening for fun too. The 250ohm has the right amount of bass. Any more then what it has would not be good. (well all subjective but for me anyways). Also I think these headphones would be very picky with what amp it uses for audiophile listeners. Even the slightest coloration through headphone amp that boosts the bass even a bit would have people find its too much bass specially with the 80ohm which already feel like its too much bass (i think tho it would be okay for BASS heads). I'm running these head phones with 0 EQ and a Very very transparent device (If it wasn't i'd be screwed with all my session mixes) 

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 14
I actually didn't think that they sounded much less clear than the DT880... Maybe it's because the ones I've listened to had 100+ hours of burn-in time? Either way, I hope you're enjoying them. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 14
  Hey, 

I saw your post your post right after I bought it and was scared to death its not gonna sound good at home. I listen to them right when I got home, didn't turn it up loud because always go through my initial burn in session. After a 2 hour burn in I'm currently listening to them right now. They sound very good. Good for listening for fun too. The 250ohm has the right amount of bass. Any more then what it has would not be good. (well all subjective but for me anyways). Also I think these headphones would be very picky with what amp it uses for audiophile listeners. Even the slightest coloration through headphone amp that boosts the bass even a bit would have people find its too much bass specially with the 80ohm which already feel like its too much bass (i think tho it would be okay for BASS heads). I'm running these head phones with 0 EQ and a Very very transparent device (If it wasn't i'd be screwed with all my session mixes) 

That's awesome, as long as you enjoy them that is all that counts! =)

I guess I was a bit let down after using the cals and sony ma900s, as those are incredibly fun.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 14
  I actually didn't think that they sounded much less clear than the DT880... Maybe it's because the ones I've listened to had 100+ hours of burn-in time? Either way, I hope you're enjoying them. 

They are definitely getting better as use the 2 hour burning time then listen hour and 2 hour burning while I'm off the computer. 

That's awesome, as long as you enjoy them that is all that counts! =)

I guess I was a bit let down after using the cals and sony ma900s, as those are incredibly fun.

Thanks! Ya, definitely could be more fun but "fun" cans are another days buy for me lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back